Author Topic: Bombay Duck  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Argonaut

• Chef
    • View Profile
Bombay Duck
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:37 PM »
I frequented Curry houses all through 70's when I would start every curry with some Bombay Duck, and a little heap of chilli powder.
I know why it went of the menu's.

However when it became available by mail order ,.. I bought some, the problem is it is not like I remember.

It used to be a wide, flat dark brown extremely crisp delight .. would snap easily and an amazing pungent taste.

I have bought from 2Pier, Spices or India .. and today just ordered some from 123Curry.
however the stuff I get is now a thin silvery grey fish (on one side at least) and I have tried various ways of preparing it .. and can't get it to the very crisp but not burnt finish.

Anybody any idea how to prepare this ? ...  I have tried shallow frying for various times .. and also tried soaking first in water - then frying.

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Bombay Duck
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:11 PM »
Deep fry it in a chip pan, high temp. and keep a close eye on it.
Place between some layers of absorbant paper for a few hours or overnight to draw the fat out.
Result should be dry and crispy, like pork scratchings with attitude :)

Offline Argonaut

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Deep fry it in a chip pan, high temp. and keep a close eye on it.
Place between some layers of absorbant paper for a few hours or overnight to draw the fat out.
Result should be dry and crispy, like pork scratchings with attitude :)

That is what I would like to get it to ... I'll try the cooking before ... deep fat fryer is out, or all future food will taste of Bombay Duck.
Have enough compliants that smell lingers for day as it is.
I'll use something else   :-)

How long do you suggest frying for ... instructions say shallow fry for 30sec. ?

Offline Argonaut

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:26 AM »

Last night I deep fried some of the recent delivery of Bombay Duck ... still can't seem to get them as crisp and brittle as they used to be when served in restaurants.

Instructions say fry for 30 sec ... have tried up to a couple of minutes ... centre is still 'chewy'  not brittle.

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:47 PM »

Last night I deep fried some of the recent delivery of Bombay Duck ... still can't seem to get them as crisp and brittle as they used to be when served in restaurants.

Instructions say fry for 30 sec ... have tried up to a couple of minutes ... centre is still 'chewy'  not brittle.

Are you frying them whole?
What I do is cut them up into one inch sections (you will need some tough kitchen scissors or poultry shears for this.
Remove any tail/fin/head remnants and then deep fry until they look right (golden brown) and it certainly takes more than thirty seconds, more like 5 mins on hight temp.
Probably take longer shallow frying, or try putting enough oil in the pan to make them float.

Hope this helps :)

PS Oh and yes they will stink the house out to start with  ;D

Offline Argonaut

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 09:34 PM »
I have been cutting them in half.

The instuctions say 30 sec max to avoid them becoming bitter, that is why I said 30 sec.

I'll try longer next time.

Just had them with my curry - taste is great ... just texture is not right

©2024 Curry Recipes