Author Topic: How do I make "fat free" curries?  (Read 8199 times)

Offline Argonaut

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Fat Free Currys
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 10:23 AM »
Thanks for detailed reply, appreciated.

My tastes have changed, when I started on Curry (around 1967-69)the normal curry then was 'Meat Madras'

I have gone through many menus, and in general the quality & choice has improved considerably in last 10 years.

I never choose currys with cream, just don't like cream sauce ... even if I am having a steak, never a cream sauce with it.

I like the flavour of ingredients to come through, and don't need thick oiliness of cream.
Typified by dishes such as Kochi Murgh  or as simple as Chicken Bhuna.

Last night I deep fried some of the recent delivery of Bombay Duck ... so will have them tonight with wahtever curry I end up cooking ... now that taste is an assault on the taste buds.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Argonaut,

almost a snap.

i started 78 and never looked back. i too don't go for creamy curries although i do now make CTM (curry kings) regularly due to family repeat requests.

if u change your mind on cream with steak i have a pucka steak diane recipe.

madras and bhuna are also my sort of dish although my fav is garlic chicken (syhlati)

you?re going have to leave that deep fryer alone or all that good work on the low fat will be to waste. ;D

Offline Argonaut

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Only get Bombay Duck about every 2 years - so unless someone else knows another way to cook it - I'll have to live with that.

If you have any good non-cream recipes be keen to know about them.

Offline Roti

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 02:37 AM »
Stop using the words "fat free" whn you are supposed to be talking about BIR, i assume that is what the site is all about.

BIR= FAT FREE. Aboslutely impossible. either be a BIR site or not.

Seems that "fat reduced" and health consciousness is a popular request nowadays.  It would be churlish to ignore peoples demand for it.  Its always pointed out that BIRs usually use loads of oil though.

Offline trickyj

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 09:40 AM »
Hello again my favourite curry community!

I am sure these points already been covered but I just thought I would add my manic kitchen parties experiences regarding 'healthy' curry cooking to the thrall!

I am choosing to greatly ignore the "BIR is either BIR and not fat free or not BIR" style post I have already read, because life is certainly not as set in stone as that narrowminded attitude - some people do not have the luxury of either affording/being able to consume some items and so alternative approaches to cooking are a must.

I also believe a good chef/cook is a flexible one, and a true gastronomist will look to create not just a practiced set of instructions to follow, but a perfected and adjusted approach to cooking that can be altered to suit needs and/or pallette.

Having jumped onto a fitness regime that includes a low salt/fat diet I thought my passion for curry would dwindlel; Alas, I took to cooking my own curries from scratch and hence allowing myself complete control over the contents whilst undertaking a very enjoyable learning experience.

The following points may seem very basic but upon adding up the calories, fat content, salt content and general 'healthiness' in comparison to a takeaway, one has found cooking my own curries now the only way to cook curries!  ;D

- Choose trim meats: lean chicken/lamb and cutting off excess fats prior to eating (this way you gain all the flavours through cooking yet dramatically reduced fat levels). Turkey is often a cheaper and less fatty alternative to chicken - makes a change in texture and flavour (even if it is notably a 'tougher' meat).

- Greek Yoghurt opposed to Cream
:  There will be notable debate following this as arguably youghurt has little of the sweetness of cream. Yet may I speak from my experience that a well seasoned curry cooked marinaded in yoghurt can be equally flavoursome and delicious (albeit different) from one cooked with creams whilst dramatically reducing fat levels.

Sweeten Elsewhere!: Alternative sweeteners could also be used if desired : decimated coconut/coconut block, or even demareira sugar would adequately sweeten a dish again with a trace of the fat of creams.

Salt? What Salt?  :P : Despite being labelled by some as the kitchen essential, I do not use any salt in any of my indian dishes. This was mainly through medical necessity to keep salt in my diet at a minimum and yet I have not missed it whatsoever!  This point may well be ridiculed by some yet after tasting a variety of well seasoned, and balanced flavours in my dishes I have yet to desire the adding of salt to any of my dishes. Another advantage of cooking my own curries over takeaway is I can control exactly how much is held within my dishes :) Why is salt being addressed I hear you cry? Well, salt in the diet is the main perpetraitor for causing a fatty liver- and is equalled in damaging ability only by alcohol! 

So think, next time you're pouring your salt in food that it is equally damaging as alcohol (although granted the volume is not as easy to consume!) But when one notes that with a takeaway, you're likely to have 'a pint or two (or three!)' as accompaniment, thats your liver taking a big hit ver a single meal ;)

Oil:  When cooking, especially in bases, it is impossible to not use oils agreed. Yet I have found healthy alternatives that are equally flavoursome and again, much healthier. Ricebran oil is a very healthy alternative which contents are trace to that of vegetable oil and has a suprisingly very 'un-greasy' makeup.  This I use as a replacement for both oils in the curry and clarified butter/Gee.  Ontop of this/if you cannot be parted with your oils- then be sure to syphon off/ladel off as much of the oil as you can before finally serving up your dish. :)

Anyway, enough of my preaching- I do hope this post doesn't come across in a patronising manner- it is certainly not intended and I would like to express my enjoyment of the current forums- great community and great passion for food :)

Regards,

James  :D

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 11:04 AM »
Thanks for this post trickyj. Although i am not overly worried about a few oily curries each week, i might experiment with a few of these suggestions for my mid week curries. These i feel should be less saturated in ghee etc. When it comes to my weekend curries, they will still be swimming in oil!  cheers DD

Offline trickyj

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 11:16 AM »
Hehe Mr.Dansak,  although I am mighty jealous I hope you Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes