Author Topic: Source of the 'toffee' taste - found  (Read 3309 times)

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Source of the 'toffee' taste - found
« on: May 03, 2005, 08:17 PM »
A few people have mentioned in the 'describle the taste' thread that BIR dishes often have a slight toffee type flavour. I think I know where this comes from.

Mark J's observations from his local involved the addition of finely chopped pre-fried onions, and pre fried pepper/onion chunks into the dish. I prepared a bowl of both of these last week when following the recipie - last wednesday to be exact. I returned from a weekend away today and made a curry using the last of the pre fried onions and onions/peppers. These tasted slightly sweet and toffee like - exactly like the toffee taste from a BIR. They were fried 6 days ago, and have been in the fridge since.

This makes quite a lot of sense - VERY few of us will have ever used week old pre fried onions in our home cooking, but it must happen all the time in a resturant. Using them brought the 'toffee' taste that no-one seems to be able to get. Try the above, and I think you'll find you do get it!

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Source of the 'toffee' taste - found
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:06 AM »
A few people have mentioned in the 'describle the taste' thread that BIR dishes often have a slight toffee type flavour
 used week old pre fried onions in our home cooking, but it must happen all the time in a resturant. Using them brought the 'toffee' taste that no-one seems to be able to get. Try the above, and I think you'll find you do get it!
Thanks, I'll try that.

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 01:00 PM »
Me too.  Thanks, thomashenry.

One thing that keeps throwing me when I try out some of these great suggestions is that the vindaloo from my favourite local is just meat, potato, and finely  pureed gravy.  I've poked about in it looking for stuff and there are no little chunks of chopped onion or pepper and if there's any chopped garlic I can't see it (though they could be frying garlic puree).  I know people on this site have actually seen these things added to the pan in demonstrations, but it would appear my local doesn't approach the dish in this way.  Yet it still has the smoky toffee taste.

That's lead me to believe it's possibly there in the base to start with (but as with everything, I'm not sure!).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 01:06 PM by Ian S. »

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 01:05 PM »
Whatever they're doing, it would seem they're doing it at the base stage (I guess).
Perhaps it is at the curry base stage, but I have found when I add some precooked ingredients (like fried onions) that they just seem to disappear into the sauce.
Or maybe they add some pre fried onions to the base sauce before blending?

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Oops! Caught me editing... :D

Yes, I've tried adding fried onion to the base myself.  I've only tried frying garlic and/or ginger at the dish stage though, so if finely chopped onions disappear into the sauce that could explain it.

Booking next weekend for a big curry cook-up!

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 03:11 PM »
yeah, finely chopped, and pre fried. Nice and slow... really coax out the sugar in the onions. Leave them to stand for a few days too.

Generally though, my experiences with local BIR vindaloos are they they don't really have the smokey toffee taste. I've not tried adding the pre fried onions to a  home brew Vindalloo - will give it a go though.

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 05:36 PM »
Jaggery (palm sugar) has an unrefined toffee like taste. It's not the missing taste, though - I've tried it lots of times.

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 06:50 PM »
My newest package of whole fenugreek seeds has a toffee/maple/sweet smell.? I've never noticed it in ground fenugreek, though.

©2024 Curry Recipes