Author Topic: The question of MSG  (Read 10008 times)

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
The question of MSG
« on: May 01, 2008, 12:10 PM »
I know some debate has been going about wether or not MSG is used in BIR cooking so last night I took a tried curry recipe of mine and added a TSP of MSG to give it a whirl. It definately modified the taste but I don't really think in a way that I have recognised in any BIR curry I have had. I can't say for sure that it is never used but I think the strong spice flavours in a BIR curry over rule the overall effect MSG has on the dish. I simply think it works in Chinese cooking because the flavours are more subtle. One thing I think is missing from curry recipies I have tried so far is an overall "Tomato" flavour quite predominant in some of my local TA dishes. I have tried to replicate this by simply adding more tomatoe but I think it goes deeper than that. One thing I have found does help is the addition of a small amount of vinegar at the end of cooking. Around 1tsp. Anyway MSG maybe but not THE missing link  :-\ I did watch a video on the "other" site showing a BIR chef cooking a curry from start to finish and he must have used nigh on a level chefs spoon of puree plus the same in spice mix for a long tray portion. Maybe we are using too much base and not enough of the other ingredients! Camera angles can de deceptive though!   

Offline currytester

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The question of MSG
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:00 PM »
FYI MSG is used in Natco's all purpose seasoning mix - this is included in several recipes on this site.

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 01:54 PM »
This is why I wouldn't claim that it is never used in BIR cooking as MSG appears in so many ingredients as an ingredient. It's even in the likes of Doritos and such but as an actual throw in ingredient during production of a curry in it's own right I am not convinced.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 06:55 PM »
When I use MSG in Chinese or Indian cooking, I tend to use more like a pinch than a teaspoon per portion. I wonder if you may have used too much and thereby spoiled the potential taste improvement.

Regards
George

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 07:43 AM »
I asked this question about msg to the owner/chef of the restaurant I frequented. It's a copy paste from his reply in an email

8. Is MSG (Monosodium glutamate) used  as a flavour enhancer?

I have never used it, not in the house or restaurant. if you want to enhance your curry you can add more chillie or herbs.

But that is just one chef.... ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 08:00 AM »
One thing I think is missing from curry recipies I have tried so far is an overall "Tomato" flavour quite predominant in some of my local TA dishes

i feel i've overcome this same problem by increasing the amount of tom puree at the frying stage - i now use 2 tbsp per person (200ml finished).

i agree on the MSG ie for chinese only.

Offline Davy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 09:24 AM »
You are correct George a lot of recipe books call for only a pinch in soups etc rather than a teaspoon full but I have seen T/A 's using it and they tend to use a lot more. Hence the raging thirst after a chinese T/A!!!  :o I wouldn't rule it out completely as a flavour enhancer but I feel overall it's not a main ingredient.

Offline Tamala

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 11:38 AM »
I have seen T/A 's using it and they tend to use a lot more. Hence the raging thirst after a chinese T/A!!!  :o I wouldn't rule it out completely as a flavour enhancer but I feel overall it's not a main ingredient.

I agree that msg accounts for the raging thirst during the night.  So if you get a raging thirst from you bir (I certainly do) then its more than likely due to msg. 

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Tamala,

your comment is well timed for me. i do get the raging thirst from the BIR's. i had put this down to v.high salt (having eliminated alcohol). have just tried ivangough's AIR (spot on) but noticed that the salt is v.high (for me but works very well to improve the taste of the onion) and was starting to draw conclusion that to get closer to BIR taste i would have to increase the salt.

can salt not be an equal cause or is there a big difference "thirst" between salt and msg

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 11:10 AM »
I don't know about all this. Couldn't the raging thirst just be to lubricate all that food you've just eaten? Especially all that starch filled rice.

I do a fair amount of Chinese TA style cooking and am not scared of MSG. That said, I don't think it's the holy grail everyone makes out. I've tried using it in BIR curries and it makes little difference IMHO.

©2024 Curry Recipes