Author Topic: 3 Day Base From Other Curry Forum  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
3 Day Base From Other Curry Forum
« on: May 09, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Firstly, I'm sorry for any trouble this thread may cause, it is not intended to do so.

After making some home made currys from various recipe sources, then buying and trying Kris Dhillon's "The Curry Secret", I thought I'd have a look online for any Indian Curry forums. I found the other forum first and later found here. For whatever reason I never found myself compelled to post there and soon became an active member of cr0. However I did print off all the recipes from their "genuine BIR recipe" section that I believe you now have to pay for.

I have a print out of their flagship base, which obviously I cannot divulge here. However what I will say is that it takes 3 days in total to prepare, requires 2 x 10 litre stock pots and cannot be scaled down. It really is a mammoth. The thing is massive and even contains a Mooli Raddish. Does anyone have any experience with this base and if so what were the results. If not I'm going to have to do it, just out of sheer curiosity.

Please refrain from posting comments which will make me regret asking. This is a touchy subject but a genuine question.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:33 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Day Base From Other Curry Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Go for it Bobby.

I do hope it turns out okay, otherwise you're going to be stuck with 10 to 20 litres of base. Hope you've got a big freezer.
 :o

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:35 PM »
You know how I always love to try the recipe and report back... Well how can I report on the base? Would pictures from each stage without a recipe per say cause too much hassle?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:13 PM »
That depends on how accurately you reproduce (publish) 'your' revised base recipe compared to the original recipe. ::)
If you were to copy it outright and print it here, there could be grounds for compensation ... but somehow I doubt it. If you reproduce your own interpretion of the method and use your own quantities for the ingredients (say for a much lower volume) there is no breach of copyright law ... especially as the original recipe clearly says it cannot be reduced in volume (which I find a bit weird anyway).

There is nothing stopping you printing your results and opinions here having tried the original recipe (with photos).

SnS  ;)

Any doubts - clear it with Admin

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:14 PM »
Three days and close to 20 liters of base... now that's dedication to the quest.

Go for it Bobby!

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 08:16 AM »
the original recipe clearly says it cannot be reduced in volume (which I find a bit weird anyway).
I have experimented with large quantity bases versus a scaled down version.
There were two main differences I noted, but not where I expected to find them
Firstly the chilli heat reduced drastically
Despite using a very hot spice mix, the base had little heat
Secondly, the sweetness increased
I found this was directly proportionate to the salt (yes, salt) used
More salt = more sweet
Perhaps the results I got were also related to the length of time needed to cook the base
The base was cooked for three and a half hours, then left to stand overnight before pureeing

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Whats the reason for it to take 3 days to prepare, seems a bit OTT? 

My general criticism for most of these "other" recipes is they all seem to be very grand and over complicated for very little difference, onion paste anyone  ;) 

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 11:20 AM »
I did print off all the recipes from their "genuine BIR recipe" section that I believe you now have to pay for. I have a print out of their flagship base, which obviously I cannot divulge here. However what I will say is that it takes 3 days in total to prepare, requires 2 x 10 litre stock pots and cannot be scaled down. It really is a mammoth. The thing is massive and even contains a Mooli Raddish. Does anyone have any experience with this base and if so what were the results. If not I'm going to have to do it, just out of sheer curiosity.

Like you, I'm curious to know if there's any real value in ANY of the recipes over there. It could be a bit like some pop groups who have 1 or 2 brilliant tracks but the rest of several albums are nothing special or worse. So if you're happy to try it out, go for it! I'd be particularly keen to see standard recipes like his/their Madras and CTM compared, as fairly as possible to generaly accepted good recipes here like Darth's and others.

I doubt if the huge quantity can't be reduced to a quarter or less, personally, without making much difference. In all other fields of catering, small quantities are generally better, e.g. cakes so why not for a base sauce?

I've always been highly sceptical as to the source/derivation of the recipes from over there but has anyone actually tried them and made fair comparisons?

Regards
George

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 01:31 PM »
has anyone actually tried them and made fair comparisons?

Regards
George
I made the melting base
The curry I used with it, tasted pretty good
But I also froze some, and it totally ruined
A lot of the RCR recipes use a liquid stock
And, in my opinion, this is too strong a flavour
Everything ends up tasting of it
A bit like that "Ahkni" stock Pat Chapman wrote about

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 12:51 PM »
It is the melting base I'm talking about and it does require 3 days. On the first day you have to make up the spice mix and put it in oil and leave to stand overnight. I can't remember the next reason that you have to leave it overnight for but there def. is one - I'll check out the recipe when I go home.

I'm surprised you think it got much worse with freezing Haldi. How would you rate this base in comparison with the ones here?

©2024 Curry Recipes