Author Topic: Success For Me :: King Prawn Jalfrezi  (Read 59767 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Success For Me :: King Prawn Jalfrezi
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Lol, it's pretty funny that we are all ending up with totally different looking curries! I guess it must be down to the base but the variation is really incredible for just a base sauce...

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 07:01 PM »
gosh Bobby - that UB factor is brushing off on you too (you?ll be doing crime scene investigation before you know it -lol). ;D

have looked back through the photos - amazing.

the difference in mine is down to preference for extra tom puree at cooking stage and less turmeric in any base.

i think some did not use the kushi spice (it?s a definite wow & must for me).

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2008, 06:03 AM »
Actually I found that BB and mine looked very similar, with the difference being BB's a more dried out version, as I believe he intended.

Jerry, I was surprised that yours looked so different to mine. I thought you used the saffron base, as did I

-- Josh

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 06:08 AM »
Jerry, on your point on the Kushi mix. I used it, but I'm curious what makes it a wow for you. I usually use the Bruce Edwards mix, but made some of the Kushi for this Jalfrezi. Do you use it as a regular mix now?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Josh,

i did use the saffron base.

i'm not keen on turmeric (starting to get used to it a bit - it's a mind thing as obviously all the BIR's have it in plenty and i love most of their curries)  - i only put 1 tsp of turmeric and i also put slightly more coriander 6 tsp into the saffron base (c/w 5 tsp of ea per spec).

the jalfezi was exactly as spec except i left the chilli powder out. the reason being the  little green chilli's tasting raw were very hot and i had previously bought the wrong chilli powder and now struggling with it (it's Natco and will be very good for some - i did not read the label "the essential base for vindaloo dishes" which is too hot for me).

on the Kushi - No i use LB spice mix for everything. this was the 1st time i'd found a spice mix i really like which does not contain paprika. this really took me by surprise as the kushi works really well with the jalrezi but the LB does not (i tried it). this prompted my recent post on where recipes originated as i now feel i'm wrong using LB for everything and perhaps need to use the Kushi more and maybe have a 3rd spice mix (i like chris303 balti masala for example). what i don't know is what type of spice mix should go with what type of dish - this i aim to learn more on.

i think spice mix is the next area that i'm moving onto feeling the base and base technique to be now sorted for me (CRO2 post - although i still want to check if its worth putting coriander and cumin into the base - i'm sceptical).

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 06:49 PM »
Guys please keep on topic - Ive deleted posts and started a new thread - see here

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 05:20 PM »
I tried this recipe today and added my own twist, which made this the best Jalfrezi I've ever made, and one of my top curries.

I've had a carbon steel wok for some time and it is really well seasoned now with a deep black shiny patina that promises non stick.

For the Jalfrezi, I got some Wok Hey into the peppers and onion by stir frying them at the max heat I have available, in a little oil. I then added these right at the end of the curry cooking stage. I swear to god, please please try this method - I swear by it. ;D

This will now be a regular of mine. 8)

Offline SKAZE

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 11:01 PM »
Im gonna have a go at this tomo, did everyone use the 150 ml ladles, im no sure on quantity of base to use.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 07:21 AM »
i used a 150ml ladle. i used the 1/2 ladle to fry off after frying the spices and then added the last 2 ladles ie i used 375ml of base aiming for 200ml finished (depending on the thinness of the base ie how much water is in their).

Offline Astronick

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Hi all!

I had a go at a vegetarian version of this tonight with Quorn pieces. I usually cook a madras so this was a bit of a departure. I have to say I was really impressed with the result - great smell, fantastic taste and I love the chunky peppers and chillies in it. Definately one to try again. :)

I used Admin's new base which is quite heavily spiced but always gives me great results whatever.

Cheers!

Astronick  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes