Author Topic: Success For Me :: King Prawn Jalfrezi  (Read 59786 times)

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Success For Me :: King Prawn Jalfrezi
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2010, 01:51 PM »
My Curry's tend to turn out darker as I'm probably heavy handed with my tea spoon levels I also use deggi mirch mostly because of the colour it gives.

This stuff is brilliant! It was a big revelation after using supermarket chilli powder. It's kashmiri chilli powder so it's got decent colour, good flavour and not too much heat. This makes it perfect so that you can get that chilli influence in there without blowing everyone's heads off.
You'll realize why paprika is listed so often as a substitute for chilli powder.
Best 79p i've spent!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2010, 02:14 PM »
Hows it going chinois? cooked any testicles lately?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Hi Chinios,

Deggi Mirch, as you say is very vibrant and better than most other chilli powders but I think I'm right in saying that it's actually 'Kashmiri Mirch' that is used in place of paprika, not Deggi?

Both are available from the MDH brand,

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-MDH-Kashmiri-Mirch.html

Both Deggi and Kashmiri are quality products either way, far superior than most of the usual suspects.

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2010, 06:43 PM »
Know what you mean about the Chinese colours. How can I make it a deeper colour without adding tomato paste?

floydmeddler,

i make this a lot and often use the saffron base. the colour does look a little off "green".

is it a true capture by the camera - i sometimes have to play around with the camera ie flash off to get the true colour.

the only other thing i can think of is that there is too much "green" in the base or too much fresh coriander at frying.

the important thing is that it tasted very good - well pleased for you both.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Hows it going chinois? cooked any testicles lately?
;D I'm doing very well sir, i'm cooking vegetarian tonight would you believe it! (:o)
I'm doing the first part of my bhaji test so i've got to work my way through 3 batches of bhajis... oh the hardship. I've got my italian housemate in on the testing - he doesnt know indian food at all so his opinion is from a different angle, which is refreshing.

My butcher (well, the guy in the turkish 24 hour cornershop who mans the meat counter) gave me a sheep's heart for free the other day - he said he wanted to show me the love! I didnt get round to cooking it and it went off :( Oops, i didnt show that sheep any gratitute did i?

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Hi Chinios,

Deggi Mirch, as you say is very vibrant and better than most other chilli powders but I think I'm right in saying that it's actually 'Kashmiri Mirch' that is used in place of paprika, not Deggi?

Both are available from the MDH brand,

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-MDH-Kashmiri-Mirch.html

Both Deggi and Kashmiri are quality products either way, far superior than most of the usual suspects.

Hehe, i was wondering if anyone would pick me up on that! Man you're quick!  ;D
Well, i have both the MDH ones and i find them very similar so i came to the conclusion that deggi mirch has a fair amount of kashmiri chilli in it. I know they say it's a secret blend of chillies though.

These two chilli powders were a revelation to me and made me understand how i'd seen indians using what looked like a dangerous amount of chilli in their cooking.
It seems to me that in india chilli powder made from the kashmiri chilli is far more common than in england.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2010, 10:37 AM »
;D I'm doing very well sir, i'm cooking vegetarian tonight would you believe it! (:o)
I'm doing the first part of my bhaji test so i've got to work my way through 3 batches of bhajis... oh the hardship. I've got my italian housemate in on the testing - he doesnt know indian food at all so his opinion is from a different angle, which is refreshing.
My butcher (well, the guy in the turkish 24 hour cornershop who mans the meat counter) gave me a sheep's heart for free the other day - he said he wanted to show me the love! I didnt get round to cooking it and it went off :( Oops, i didnt show that sheep any gratitute did i?
Good to hear that, lambs heart not my cup T - looking forward to your bhaji test

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2010, 12:26 PM »
My butcher (well, the guy in the turkish 24 hour cornershop who mans the meat counter) gave me a sheep's heart for free the other day - he said he wanted to show me the love! I didnt get round to cooking it and it went off :(

You missed out on a great experience.  If you get another opportunity, give the heart(s) a good clean, cut them carefully to create two or three large chambers, and fill these with pre-mixed sage-and-onion stuffing, then either braise in Madeira sauce or roast in a not-too-hot oven (otherwise they will shrink and go hard).  They are truly delicious, very inexpensive, and feature regularly on our menu at home.

** Phil.

Offline nick9one1

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Well, first post and first success!!

I copied this recipe to the letter this weekend and turned out extremely tasty!

Looks very 'orange' n the picture but i think that is to do with the flash. Was actually much darker.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Well done Nick on your first post and first recipe form cr0.

Looks very good indeed.

©2024 Curry Recipes