Author Topic: How do you finely chop your onions?  (Read 7606 times)

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How do you finely chop your onions?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 01:42 AM »
As a trained chef i've always gone for halving the onion then making a series of lateral cuts up to the root then cutting verticaly depending on how fine you want the onion, just whatever you do take care, i've been cooking and chopping for years until a month or so ago when the onion slipped when i was halving it,and i buried a freshly sharpened global into my thumb! and had to be glued back together by the lovely nurses at the L+D! keep your eyes on the ball and think about where the blade will end up if you slip!! i've lost a bit of confidence since then.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Robin,

warning appreciated (something we easily miss until u have a visit to A&E and realise it's packed out all the time).

i suppose for the home that ugly dicer is starting to look more attractive. will need to check out TikkaMik's thoughts on that suave looking grater in terms of safety for sure.

Offline TikkaMik

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 11:24 AM »
Jerry,

I have a similar mandolin to this, I have always struggled to get on with it,
the onion would move while in the guard, I found peppers were worse to slice, the veg were supposedly held in place by 3 prongs, peppers being hollow just would not stay put,
there were times it made me feel to try to slice things without using the guard,
which was plain daft,
maybe it was me, I don't know, but it now sits in the bottom of a kitchen draw not ever seeing the light of day,
maybe others have had a better experience than me with mandolins but they are not for me...

Mick

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 05:55 PM »
TikkaMik,

thanks for advice - will give it a wide birth and keep the lookout going for the real mccoy (i know - going to be difficult to beat that nasty marketplace website).

©2024 Curry Recipes