Author Topic: Which spice mix for which curry?  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Which spice mix for which curry?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 08:34 PM »
when u say mix powder do you mean curry powder. i'd got the same list but slightly different order: coconut flour, sugar, coriander, chilli, curry powder, cumin, methi, salt.

They have changed the order of the spices on the top shelf quite often in the past two weeks, so no wonder we differ in order. At least our spice list is in agreement.

When I say 'mix powder' I mean what you call the spice mix. That is the cumin, coriander, tuemeric, paprika, curry powder mix. The BIR chefs call it mix powder and it's a term I wish others would use here, as it has a very definite meaning.

Of course the confusion is that the 'mix powder' IS a curry powder in its own right. Please folks can we use the BIR term for what we call spice mix from now on...i.e. mix powder?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 08:44 PM »
i'm real interested in the coconut flour - i'd not come across it - but having now looked in my local Asian store there's loads of it. i've used cream coconut in the past and interested in the difference.

Ahh now this is interesting. I left this one out of the Malik's base ingredients list too. They put a whole bar of coconut cream in (originally I thought it was plain ol' butter, but it just sat there on the surface for far too long).

Now I will make a statement and I'm sure some will disagree. Coconut cream is not used in any other way than in the base in BIR cooking. I see recipes on here that use coconut cream in the actual curry. NO. Ain't ever going to happen in a real BIR. Coconut flour in curries, coconut cream in bases (sometimes). End of story!

Myth number 2!

Offline sarannan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 11:12 AM »
mmmm... im love it man...

©2024 Curry Recipes