Author Topic: what curry is it  (Read 2679 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
what curry is it
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:21 PM »
it's sort of been dawning on me that while i know exactly what i like in terms of curries having lived BIR for many years - i don't know what "tag" they have (not knowing a better word) - i guess where the authentic dishes originate from which the BIR dishes have evolved from.

i know there are the countries of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh but i guess that's only the start.

madras is fairly simple i presume originating from the madras province in India.

is there any good books, sites to read up on this - i guess what i'm after is from reading a BIR menu i can instantly recognise where or how it originated.

hope this makes sense.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: what curry is it
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:43 PM »
it's sort of been dawning on me that while i know exactly what i like in terms of curries having lived BIR for many years - i don't know what "tag" they have (not knowing a better word) - i guess where the authentic dishes originate from which the BIR dishes have evolved from.

i know there are the countries of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh but i guess that's only the start.

madras is fairly simple i presume originating from the madras province in India.

is there any good books, sites to read up on this - i guess what i'm after is from reading a BIR menu i can instantly recognise where or how it originated.

hope this makes sense.

Are you looking for something like this JM? click pic. UB  :)

UNCLEBUCK:)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:20 PM »
thanks UB - it is on the right lines ie "Dhansak origins Parsee (Middle Eastern, Persia)"

the trouble is the origins are not given for all - but a good start.

what i'm trying to do is to pin down the origin and then compare the associated spice mix - hoping to learn if there are categories of spice mix and why they match so well or not.

best wishes

Offline tonymexico

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 11:32 PM »
Hi jerry, you could try "Curry: A tale of cooks and conquerors" by Lizzie Collingham which you should be able to find at Amazon. This maybe just what you are after as it lists the history both in India and the parallel dishes as they developed in Britain. The book also contains maps and historical references

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:42 AM »
Tony,

many thanks, have ordered it this morning (from amazon).

it looks just what i need. i was not making any progress so just the lift i needed.

best wishes.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Tony,

finished the book - it's quite a long and winding journey - v.good for taking on hols.

it's quite ironic for me personally as my fav curry is syhleti (garlic chicken) and chapter 9 explains how effectively the vast majority of BIR restaurants descended from syhleti sailors originating from Bangladesh (also my fav T/A).

many thanks

©2024 Curry Recipes