Author Topic: Lamb rogan josh - take on the takeaway  (Read 19118 times)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb rogan josh - take on the takeaway
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 02:32 PM »
Great pics. that red masalla mix looks interesting. i bet that stuff tastes good just by itself. My guess is that it could include some pataks kashmiri masalla paste. That could be whats in the large pataks jars on the shelf.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:20 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Great pics. that red masalla mix looks interesting. i bet that stuff tastes good just by itself. My guess is that it could include some pataks kashmiri masalla paste. That could be whats in the large pataks jars on the shelf.

yeah your right there DD - i need to experiment a bit with pataks to see what comes up.. Oh there goes my diet again  ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:21 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 05:14 PM »
I'm right with you on that one. I think I'll try the Madras paste in place of spice mix. I wonder how much to use... Probably try 2 tsp for one portion then taste.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 06:41 PM »
hi guys
i think the pataks pastes used in some not all Bir's "the balti paste","the madras paste" ,"kashmiri masala paste", "tandoori paste" and finally "the tikka paste". some of these i know they use having used them as marinades with yoghurt, others because they have been seen used in curry demos on this site. some even in base sauce recipes. i believe that these are the best of the bunch all the others vindaloo, garam masala, etc are more geared to authentic dishes imo.

regards
gary

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 09:26 AM »
UB,

we now know your occupation - you must be a crime scene investigator.

many thanks - excellent summing up.

gary,

i too disappointed that the none TA chefs did not try to make like for like dishes.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:23 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline gajman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Ive watched most of this series on different takeaway foods, Chinese, Mexican Indian etc and I havent yet seen a meal made by the 'celebrity chef' that looks anything like I would have from a takeaway.  The curries Ive made from advice on this site are more like it.  It might be cynical me but Im sure the punters are told which meal to choose after the tasting.  If you think about it the celeb wouldnt be best pleased if the takeaways cooking was preferred.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 07:59 PM »
  The curries Ive made from advice on this site are more like it.  It might be cynical me but Im sure the punters are told which meal to choose after the tasting.  If you think about it the celeb wouldnt be best pleased if the takeaways cooking was preferred.

I know what you mean, the punters chose the crappy one over the one they know and love (probably just to be polite)... but point is for me is that this restaurant does things quite different from what Ive been doing.. This bir makes a heavy spiced curry (with red masala includes pataks) on high heat and lets it turn dark brown and then thins it out with a watery gravy rather than using and medium spice curry with a medium spice gravy,,, this has been propper bugging me   ::)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 09:01 AM »
this has been propper bugging me

i'll have to watch it again - i thought they made 2 different sauces and poured one over the other in the tin.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 09:36 AM »
UB,

have watched the interesting parts again (footage mins: 13:12, 15:17, 15:24, 15:30).

I?m very sceptical about the extent of what?s shown being useful to us ? meaning they are clearly highlights "bits of a jig saw" and a lot is not shown which would be needed to be 100% sure of what?s happening.

i still remain pretty sure they have made 2 sauces (we don't see the curry sauce being made). the sauce in the film is the meat sauce which as it's being put into the container looks very dry. they then pour a curry sauce over which could not have come from the meat sauce as on the last spoon of meat leaving the pan there is only scraping left in the pan.

the base looks a bit like saffron.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:24 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 11:23 AM »
UB,

have watched the interesting parts again (footage mins: 13:12, 15:17, 15:24, 15:30).

I?m very sceptical about the extent of what?s shown being useful to us ? meaning they are clearly highlights "bits of a jig saw" and a lot is not shown which would be needed to be 100% sure of what?s happening.

it is a bit mix and match.. but the very first curry went like this - high heat, oil, fry onion , capsicum,
add chili powder - spice mix, fenugreek until dark brown (13:26) then added
tom puree and red masala back to high heat then added precooked lamb.
the next shot looks like they filmed a different curry.

the base looks a bit like saffron.

agree looks similar in viscosity but this looks more opaque, seems basic looks like just onions, pepper, fresh toms.. No spuds, carrots etc
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:24 PM by Unclebuck »

©2024 Curry Recipes