Author Topic: Lamb rogan josh - take on the takeaway  (Read 19104 times)

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb rogan josh - take on the takeaway
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 12:04 AM »
No Pataks pastes over here, so I wont be able to give this recipe a go (as many others calling for Pataks pastes). It is very frustrating when the recipes call for any pataks paste, because there?s nothing I can do about it, you cannot try to substitute anything you have no idea what is like, also it?s frightening to know that takeaways use them as it would mean that I wouldnt ever get closer to the BIR taste, no matter how hard I tried (I am sure that thats true in CTM, as I cannot emulate the CTM I got used to in the UK, I got very good recipes but are not quite the same).

Regards

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 04:51 AM »
I'm starting to think there is value in the Patak's pastes. Seems a number of BIRs use it. Useful to know which dishes its used in, masalas, etc. Tikka, Tandoori, and Kashmiri Masala seem to be the prominent ones.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 08:11 AM »
No Pataks pastes over here, so I wont be able to give this recipe a go (as many others calling for Pataks pastes). It is very frustrating when the recipes call for any pataks paste, because there?s nothing I can do about it, you cannot try to substitute anything you have no idea what is like, also it?s frightening to know that takeaways use them as it would mean that I wouldnt ever get closer to the BIR taste, no matter how hard I tried (I am sure that thats true in CTM, as I cannot emulate the CTM I got used to in the UK, I got very good recipes but are not quite the same).

Regards

Hi malacara, if i assume correctly your from the states or Canada? you might want to look at these web sites

Indian foods co

ishopindian.com
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:51 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Many thanks for the links Unclebuck but I am from Spain.
I have never seen any Patak?s pastes or something similar in my local supermarket, I saw once a Sharwoods? mild curry paste ("ideal for korma"  as stated on the jar, although I don?t know if they are interchangeables) in another one, I supposse that I will have to go back to check but I will never been able to have at my disposal such variety of pastes to choose from.

Best regards
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 05:08 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 05:09 PM »
I have never seen any Patak?s pastes or something similar in my local supermarket, I saw once a Sharwoods? mild curry paste ("ideal for korma"  as stated on the jar, although I don?t know if they are interchangeables) in another one, I supposse that I will have to go back to check but I will never been able to have at my disposal such variety of pastes to choose from.
Best regards

Ok i see these guys ship to the EU

Spices of India

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 05:33 PM »
Thanks again Unclebuck, I have bought at Natco as the shipping charges were far cheaper but possibly next time I will try spices of india and buy some pastes to find out if they make a major breakthrough in my curry making  ;D

Best regards
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 05:39 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 05:39 PM »
Thanks again Unclebuck, I have bought at Natco as the shipping charges were far cheaper but possibly next time I will try spices of india and buy some pastes to find out if they make a major breakthrough in my curry making  ;D
Best regards

No trouble  8)
I dont think pataks is the be all and end all mind... I think jerry is going to make some pastes of his own im looking out for that one.;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Malacara,

pataks are not that fantastic. i can reluctantly accept the BIR's use them - i even probably believe these are the BIR's where i don't like the food.

i do agree they can save time - but only if you accept loss of quality.

i base this opion on a 1/3rd jar in my fridge (which i'm now going to put in the bin). it's the "tikka currypaste" - I?ve tried it to make tikka and i thought it was sort of ok - the family have rebelled though and are having no more of it - they insist on the real stuff - for us CA's tikka.

in terms of not being able to achieve BIR without pataks is a complete YES YES. i am sure we will get there and certainly without a need for pataks. I am sure that authentic spices are needed though eg I could not get the CTM anywhere as good without the Leena (or equivalent) tandoori masala powder. I?ve also had to accept that I can?t make curry powder as good as the bought (I now buy rajah).

UB,

sorry about the make pastes - football has taken it's toll but it remains on my priority list.

Offline sydt2005

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 12:21 PM »
Best regards

Ok i see these guys ship to the EU

Spices of India

Hi Malacara

I also live in Spain (Alicante Area) you can get Patkias curry pastes here but spain is a big place and I have no idear where you are. Some help might be Dell Boys @(Guadamar), Amigos
@ La Romana or Berties @ Hondon de la Neeves.

regards sydt 2005

Offline dawn.s

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 03:39 PM »
I lived in Spain for 6 yrs till a few months ago, have you tried one of the (many) English supermarkets. I used to get Pataks pastes from them. I lived near Alicante too (Crevillente) Must admit, it's great to be able to pop to the local Indian spice shop! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes