Author Topic: FAO Smokenspice - chilli plant emergency  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
FAO Smokenspice - chilli plant emergency
« on: June 07, 2008, 02:26 PM »
Hi.

I came down today to find a few of my plants limp looking. The bottom of the stems are all knobbly and rooty... does this maybe mean they are outgrowing their pots and the roots are pushing the plant out the soil?

what is the safest and best way for me to repot them at this stage.#

thanks very much

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: FAO Smokenspice - chilli plant emergency
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 04:31 PM »
Hi Chris

If you look at the holes underneath the pot can you see white roots? If so they need repotting.

Using a bigger pot (deeper and at least 2 inches larger in diameter), prepare by putting in some compost to a depth such that when you place the smaller pot inside the larger pot, the compost surfaces are the same?

To re-pot, loosen the sides by gently squeezing the sides of the pot (assuming you've got plastic ones). Hold the plant stem gently at the base, turn upside down and gently pull the pot away from the plant and existing compost. Provided the compost is not too wet the roots will hold the compost together. Insert this into the new pot and fill sides with more compost. Water ... done.

SnS  ;)

ps: try to bury the nobbly bits at the base when you transplant them. It sound like they're too exposed. These will root.

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:39 PM »
thank you :)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 05:42 PM »
also you have more than one in a larger pot for the forseeable futur?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 07:02 PM »
also you have more than one in a larger pot for the forseeable futur?

Most of my adult chile plants end up in their own large pots by July, which are 11 inches dia by 9 inches deep ... so unless you have a very large container ...

ps: Also, don't forget that chile plants are not annuals so will keep growing for over 3 years if kept at a minumum temperature of 8 deg celcius over winter.

SnS  ;)

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 07:05 PM »
thanks... I just have so many now.... need to give some away to family and friends lol.

no less than 8 you say.... looks like I wont be planting them out in my new garden then. glasgow barely rises above 8 degrees in the height of summer

Offline merlin11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 06:03 PM »
ive grown apache the dwarf chillie , it looks brill right now lots of flowers chillies forming  but,,,, i put two in a med sized pot is that ok do you think?, the large bell boy peppers i did put in single large pots.
i think i would damage the plants if i split them now.
not sure what to do.. :-\

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 06:19 PM »
They'll be okay only if the roots do not become overcrowded. Once you start to see a few roots through the holes in the base you may need to increase pot size again.

Alternatively, using a sharp knife cut down through the root ball to separate the two plants, then repot each.

SnS

Offline merlin11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 11:31 AM »
thank you  :)

Offline merlin11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 01:02 PM »
chillie plants are great  :) so many chillies i will have to give some away . the peppers are slower but i do have a few full sized ready to use this week. the smell from the plants is really nice and spicy lol.

©2024 Curry Recipes