Author Topic: Aubergine curry  (Read 3725 times)

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Aubergine curry
« on: May 09, 2005, 05:45 PM »
Does anyone have a recipe for an aubergine curry of any kind?? Not mashed like Baingan Bharta, but bite-sized chunks of aubergine that have soaked up way too much oil, and are floating in a spicy sauce.? It isn't consistent from restaurant to restaurant, so it's hard to describe.? Like a fool I tried Corfu Andy's aubergine last night and it was horrid, just simply horrid!?

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Aubergine curry
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 08:19 AM »
I don't use exact quantities but I do it something like this:

Finely slice and onion and fry in oil until brown. Reserve.
Slice aubergine in to pieces (I like it in thick matchsticks, about the width of a pencil).
Fry in lots of oil (several tablespoons) over a medium heat until soft. It will soak up loads of oil, then give some back. Removed the Aubergine with a slotted spoon and reserve.
In the remaining oil (add more if required) fry 2 cloves of chopped garlic until golden, then add a ladle of curry gravy. Reduce this right downtill dry, then add a pinch of menthi, a pinch of dried mint, a pinch of nigella seeds, 1 teaspoon of curry powder and another ladle of gravy. Add the aubergine and the onion and a chopped tomato or two. Cook for a minute or two, season,then sprinkle with fresh coriander.

This makes a good double portion.

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 08:22 AM »
I forgot, if you can get baby aubergines use these - they hold their shape better (just slice them lengthwise). You'll need half a dozen or so.

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 08:35 PM »
Thank you, Dylan.? I look forward to trying that.? Last night I tried a recipe for an aubergine and potato curry from a New Zealand cooking magazine, and it was my best so far.? I'll taste it again in a few days and see if it improves.? ?It didn't call for curry gravy, so I'm sure yours is more like a BIR.   

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 01:42 AM »
                                                               Aubergine Curry                                                 

Ingredients:

40 gm tamarind pulp
500 gm  aubergines (baingans)
salt
1/2 fresh coconut, grated
6 whole red chillies
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4 tbsps oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
8-10 curry leaves
400 gm onions, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, to garnish

Method:
?   Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup hot water for at least 30 minutes.
?   Make 2 incisions, like a cross, halfway up each aubergine. Cut off the stems.
?   Soak in water with a pinch of salt for 15 minutes, to reduce the natural bitterness.
?   On a heated griddle toast the coconut for 5-6 minutes, then add the chillies and       coriander seeds and toast for 2-3 minutes.
?   Add the cumin and toast for 1 minute.
?   Put into a small grinder and grind to a paste, adding a little water.
?   Heat the oil in a cooking pot and add the mustard seeds.
?   When they crackle, add the garlic, ginger and curry leaves, then the onions and turmeric.
?   After 25 minutes add the spice paste and saute for a further 10-15 minutes, adding a little water if the spices stick.
?   Add 2 cups water, stir well, add salt to taste (about 1-1/4 tsps) and the aubergines and cover with the lid.
?   After 15 minutes add the tamarind water (after squeezing the tamarind and straining it).
Cook until the aubergines are tender, then remove from the heat and sprinkle with coriander leaves when serving.

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 03:56 PM »
Thanks, CurryCanuck.? That sounds like a South Indian recipe with tamarind, coconut, and curry leaves.? I can't imagine how it's going to taste, but I'll certainly give it a try.?

Do you think I could substitute dried, grated coconut for the fresh, and about how much?? I would still toast it, but maybe not as long.

-Mary

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 06:32 PM »
Dried coconut would work equally as well...about 1/2 - 3/4  cup should do it .

John

©2024 Curry Recipes