Author Topic: New member  (Read 5833 times)

Offline dawn.s

• Chef
    • View Profile
« on: June 18, 2008, 01:16 PM »
Hi
Joined a few days ago and been trawling through all the fab recipes. Had a trip to the local Spice shop this morning, (wow, I LOVE that shop) and am in the process of making Bruce Edwards curry base, just waiting for it to cool before blitzing..........maybe I'm sad....but I'm sooo excited ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Hi Dawn

Welcome to the forum.

SnS  ;)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Hi Dawn,

Welcome to cr0, don't worry most of us are just as sad on here  ;)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:15 PM »
welcome to the nut house  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 06:26 PM »
remember always ask if things don't work out anytime - i've found this type of cooking really tricky and the help from the forum members crucial to keep going in the right direction.

definitely not sad - just simply someone who appreciates one of the best things in life - curry  ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 06:39 PM »
Sad? SAD??? I'm a proud Spice God!!! ;D

Offline dawn.s

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 08:36 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!
I had a great day in the kitchen and after making the base, messed about with different ingredients.I usually add various pastes ie Patak's vindaloo etc. I ended up with a good vindaloo, a plain curry (for a friend who doesn't do heat ::)) and a Ceylon type chicken curry. The rest of the base is in the freezer, which is groaning under the strain.
Not sure if they're up to my local take away standard, but the house smells the same! ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 08:15 AM »
Not sure if they're up to my local take away standard

it'll take a few months to gradually improve "trying different recipes/ideas" and move towards the BIR taste (i'm certainly not there yet but i'm much closer than before i joined this site).

after the base i feel the spice mix important followed by getting the frying technique right. there are then a few icings like oil reclaim.

just keep going a bit at a time and be amazed how you'll improve - i know i have over the last 6 mths.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 03:11 AM »
I left the UK about 5 years ago. After about a year in Canada and trying (just about) every Indian in Toronto, I decided enough was enough and set out on the internet to recreate BIR in my own kitchen.

Dave Smith's site was an awesome find at the time. Half of the mystery was solved - the two stage base/curry! Then I stumbled on cr0 about 6 months ago, and like Jerry says its been absolute improvement since then.

I honestly think I'm 95% there. I have a trip back to the UK at the end of the summer. Let's see if my 95% is as close as I think it is! At least I'll be able to grab some of those pesky masalas and mixes I can't get here!

Welcome aboard and have fun!

-- Josh

Offline dwelfhorn

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 03:58 PM »
im vlad live in kent mad on curry phall best looking for genuine gravy base  ::);D

©2024 Curry Recipes