Author Topic: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008  (Read 98039 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 06:34 PM »
I tend to agree. My last batch was with red pepper the one in the photo was from a previous batch. I am sticking to the red (for colour), although I'm not sure if it affects the taste.

I have to say that I think it most probably does affect the taste. This base is far better than pretty much any base I've made and the red pepper stands out to me as one of the major factors for the positive change. Having not tried it with the green however, I can't be sure.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 08:26 PM »
I tend to agree. My last batch was with red pepper the one in the photo was from a previous batch. I am sticking to the red (for colour), although I'm not sure if it affects the taste.

I have to say that I think it most probably does affect the taste. This base is far better than pretty much any base I've made and the red pepper stands out to me as one of the major factors for the positive change. Having not tried it with the green however, I can't be sure.

I agree, red peppers are ripe (sweeter) as green are not (sharper taste) I like both but prefer red the in between colours are yellow and orange but cant really taste any different in them thou.

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Fantastic post, thanks for the recipes SnS and BB, I have just ran out of base and I was already thinking of making a new batch of Saffron but after reading this post I think I am going to try this new version.
One doubt, a standard tin of tomatoes is a 400 gr tin?

Thanks to everybody

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 11:57 PM »
One doubt, a standard tin of tomatoes is a 400 gr tin?

Yup! Put in one whole tin 400g.

SnS  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Bobby/Sns,

please confirm if i've got the right stuff - i have "deggi mirch" which i've recently bought but not yet used - looks and tastes impressive

is this "kashmiri mirch".

on the rest i'm speechless - i just can't imagine saffron being improved. your cooking credentials for me are top notch so i expect i will have to eat my hat (as long as it's a curry one).

setting off for ingredients!

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 10:58 AM »
Bobby/Sns,

please confirm if i've got the right stuff - i have "deggi mirch" which i've recently bought but not yet used - looks and tastes impressive

is this "kashmiri mirch".

on the rest i'm speechless - i just can't imagine saffron being improved. your cooking credentials for me are top notch so i expect i will have to eat my hat (as long as it's a curry one).

setting off for ingredients!

Hi Jerry

Kashmiri Mirch is milder and redder than Deghee Mirch.

See here
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-MDH-Kashmiri-Mirch.html

Regards
SnS

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 12:56 PM »
thanks SnS.

i'm going to have to look harder in my local Asian shops to get the kashmiri - it seems to be the only thing absent in the MDH range being stocked.

anyhow base is on the go with deggi in place of kashi.

i do like the addition of coriander (used in the rajver) - adds a touch of class for me.

the rest seems a little too close for comfort to the saffron except for the kashi and rajah. the trouble is for me having consistently got such good results before from the saffron at this point i just can't see how this recipe is getting closer to BIR.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 01:13 PM »
thanks SnS.

i'm going to have to look harder in my local Asian shops to get the kashmiri - it seems to be the only thing absent in the MDH range being stocked.

anyhow base is on the go with deggi in place of kashi.

i do like the addition of coriander (used in the rajver) - adds a touch of class for me.

the rest seems a little too close for comfort to the saffron except for the kashi and rajah. the trouble is for me having consistently got such good results before from the saffron at this point i just can't see how this recipe is getting closer to BIR.

Hi Jerry

If you look at the percentages of each ingredient you'll see that this is not the same as Saffron, although the veg used in it is the same. To date I've produced 5 batches of Saffron (over 20 litres) and 3 of this one. They are totally diferent to each other in taste, viscosity, smell and colour .... you'll see.

This gives a more rounded depth to the final curry and has a definate influence on the final taste.

This base is thicker than Saffron, so don't forget to add a little water when cooking the curry. If you like the final curry thicker, still add water and simply reduce by cooking a bit longer.

Good luck.

SnS  ;D

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 04:27 PM »
hi bb i would beg to differ with regards to the base and recipe being compatitble with another base sauce, remeber i have had three very different base sauce recipe from 3 diffrent chefs at rajver and mixed and match with recipes and still turned out BIR standard curries and better, just ask the wife( and there could be no bigger critic). re the madras recipe imho i don't think a BIR would go near msg, but that is my opinion. and no lemon juice but again every madras recipe is different they all follow a formula up to a point, then you find them with tomato wedges or lemon wedges or juice ....regional differences! re the base again most would work with bruces recipes as well.

regards
gary

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 04:50 PM »
i've finished the base and need to cook with it to firm up thoughts.

this has been difficult for me.

i like very much the existing saffron and have seen no need to "improve" it. i have also recently adopted oil reclaim to gain a "moorish" taste in the bases i make.

i also did not have the kashmiri chilli having been sold deggi mirch as the same thing when clearly it is not (i've visited the MDH website and seen not only my packet but also the Kasimiri packet). Comparing the pics this has clearly affected the colour (mine being less redder).

i would be inclined to leave the 1 tsp of chilli out or certainly reduce (it can be added at cooking stage to suit the customer).

after blending i thought the taste was very similar to saffron (accepting i've not got any saffron to do a direct comparison). after the 1/2 hr simmer the taste has clearly changed and developed - i would say better than the saffron. i particularly like the introduction of the coriander and the rajah curry powder.

i need to cook with it to say by how much it's better. i do miss the moorish taste though that u gain through oil reclaim - i appreciate this is not for everyone and certainly not done by the Saffron restaurant (but this "oil reclaim" is another subject and clearly down to personal preference - now that i've tasted it i can't live without it).

i intend to split the batch and continue cooking one 1/2 for reclaim to allow comparison at cooking stage.

©2024 Curry Recipes