Author Topic: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008  (Read 98122 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2009, 11:21 AM »
however I don't add the tin of tomatoes

Very sensible!

Just your opinion SS - but otherwise a pointless comment, although I'm sure it gives you some satisfaction.  :-\

Most bases have a quantity of tinned tomatoes. Perhaps reducing the quantity to half a tin may be more to your taste.  :)

Madrasses

The light froth is normal - remove any thick stuff as it can taste bitter - but otherwise as SS says, stir it back in.

SnS  ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2009, 02:41 PM »

Very sensible!

I agree with this point, succinctly put!  This base is VERY tomatoey...

...I'm sure this base would be more versatile if the tinned tomatoes were omitted (or the quantity of tinned tomatoes was certainly reduced, as SnS suggests). 

I don't like ANY tinned tomatoes in my base (I think they can make the base bitter).  I generally stick to fresh tomatoes or tomato paste.

Each to their own, I suppose.... :P

Offline seekingcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2009, 08:12 AM »
I'm sure with the tin of tomatoes added the base is excellent for Madras and perhaps bhuna/rogan josh, however I've never been a fan of the "tomatoey" curries so leaving the tomatoes out altogether works for me. I do still leave in the fresh one and add some tomato paste to final dishes.

Offline Madrasass

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2009, 07:59 AM »
Madrasses

The light froth is normal - remove any thick stuff as it can taste bitter - but otherwise as SS says, stir it back in.

SnS 

Hi SnS, many thanks for your sensible reply.

JJS

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2009, 09:40 AM »
Whatever works for the individual is what is best.  If you don't like tomatoes, then fair enough.  Personally, I find this base the most versatile one that gives the best results.  Like I have said before, removing the hot spices or replacing them with milder ones adapts the base just nicely for a CTM.  I certainly have no intention of trying any other bases from here as I hit the jackpot with this one first time.  And I find that although the base is indeed a tomatoey base, it only adds to the overall results for the curries I enjoy making.  Obviously I cannot speak for all the curries, but it certainly works well for the Madras/Vindaloo, CTM (minus chili powder and replacing hot madras powder with mild curry powder) and the Dhansak (although I'm not happy with this curry, it isn't a problem with the base, just the recipe.)

Each to their own eh lads!

Offline jonnyboy13

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Hello, I'm a new member, tried the base last night and went down a treat!! I like the way it absorbs the oil, I followed the madras recipe and used chicken, took me longer than 15 mins but I reckon I can do it tonight!!! Very nice recipe, thanks.

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2009, 08:43 AM »
Hello, I'm a new member, tried the base last night and went down a treat!! I like the way it absorbs the oil, I followed the madras recipe and used chicken, took me longer than 15 mins but I reckon I can do it tonight!!! Very nice recipe, thanks.

Exactly.  The fact you aren't swimming in oil when you dish up your meal makes this base a winner straight away.  And it DOES take slightly longer than 15 minutes to make the madras but then that's because when I make mine, I like fried onion so I have to chop and fry onion as well as make the recipe... but it's not much longer than 15 minutes so all is good.  SnS I again salute you!!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2009, 11:16 AM »

Very sensible!

I agree with this point, succinctly put!  This base is VERY tomatoey...

...I'm sure this base would be more versatile if the tinned tomatoes were omitted (or the quantity of tinned tomatoes was certainly reduced, as SnS suggests). 

I don't like ANY tinned tomatoes in my base (I think they can make the base bitter).  I generally stick to fresh tomatoes or tomato paste.

Each to their own, I suppose.... :P

If you use the Italian "Plum" tomatoes they are more sweet than any other variety. I made the SNS base with these and it turned out really well. Certainly the best base I have ever made from here :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 06, 2009, 01:14 PM »
Which others have your tried 976bar?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Which others have your tried 976bar?

I can't remember who posted this, but its one that I used to use, but could never get a decent curry from it...... :(

Vegetables
Cooking onions (1.5kg unpeeled, 1.25kg peeled)
1 large carrot (200g unshaved, 160g shaved)
1 large green pepper (225g whole, 200g trimmed and deseeded)
4 to 6 Salad potatoes (250g unshaved, 210g shaved)
Chop roughly and add to a very large cooking pot

Add:-
2 medium tomatoes (chopped into quarters)
2 cups (500 ml) of fresh vegetable oil
25g finely chopped garlic gloves (about 4 large cloves)
10g finely chopped fresh ginger root (about 1 inch cube)
1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
2.5 litres of water, which will cover all the ingredients

Cover and bring to boil. Remain covered and simmer vigorously for 40 minutes stirring occasionally.

Half a tin (200 g) of chopped plum tomatoes (Italian Napolina)
Boil covered for another 5 minutes.

25 ml cumin powder
25 ml coriander powder
25 ml turmeric powder
25 ml sweet paprika (or deghi mirch)

Boil covered for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and blend for at least 5 minutes until very smooth. Add 1 litre of water. The gravy will now resemble a very thin soup.
Bring to boil. Simmer vigorously (almost a boil) uncovered for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove any scum * (not froth) forming on the surface. When the oil completely separates the gravy is complete.

©2024 Curry Recipes