Author Topic: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008  (Read 98118 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Am I correct? I thought somewhere you made a "curry powder" with cardamom powder and asoefitida in it.

Maybe I'm i'm thinking of some other post...

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Yes, you're correct Josh.

One is the link you supplied, the other was when we were working on the "cr0 curry base development"....I'm not sure where that one went to, but I'm sure I can dig it out, if anyone is interested.

Personally, I'd suggest that Tessad just uses some other decent commercial curry powder (madras hot, if they wish).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2010, 09:29 AM »

Offline tessad

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 22, 2010, 02:11 PM »
That's great thanks.  I didn't realise it was just curry powder!  Have everything ready now so tonight's the night!

Offline tessad

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2010, 08:33 PM »
Well my first attempt went quite well.  I think the base was pretty good.

I had a few problems when making the madras - I think it was a bit more liquidy than it should have been and the oil started to separate when I served it on the plates.  I suspect this is because I didn't heat it up correctly when adding the base/water for making the madras.  Will try again next week.

Also, sorry if this is a stupid question, but is this base only for making the madras or can I use it to make other curries too?

Thanks.  Very delighted to have found this site - my previous efforts have been v poor indeed!

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Hi Tessad,

This base is pretty flexible but if you want to make a really mild dish I would leave the chilli powder out of the base. It's easy enough to add heat at the final cooking stage.

Paul.

Offline nai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2010, 09:42 PM »
Arghh, I've just read and made notes from all 46 pages of the 'saffron' thread and now I come across this  :o  Ah well, here's to the next 26 pages!  :D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Get used to it nai...there's an awful lot of bases and curries to contend with on this site! I don't envy you having to try to choose one of the many to start with.

Offline nai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2010, 10:59 PM »
Wise advice, SS. I've also learnt (through years of participating in forums) that a curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is entirely undeserved...your input has been very much appreciated.   ;D

You guys are great!! Just what I've been searching for. Congratulations to all of you  8)

Offline nai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 03, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Regards msg: I've been a big fan for years; I add it to most of my food. I purchase Lotus's 100mg from Appna, (Indian Grocers) Dewsbury. Magic!!! I must admit, I tend to overuse msg because it gives me the most vivid dreams (I add it to bedtime drinks and find it to be the most invigorating tonic).  Enjoy!!!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes