Author Topic: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008  (Read 98054 times)

Offline nai

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2010, 11:33 PM »
You're absolutely right, SS: Are potatoes (and which variety) necessary???  8)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 05, 2010, 07:25 AM »
nai,

i'm just starting out on msg but putting it in a drink sounds real too far.

on the pot's u can leave them out (i keep them in, it's the only base i do use them though). i've tried both the salad and the normal cheapo - u can't tell the difference in the final curry.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 05, 2010, 09:59 PM »
i've tried both the salad and the normal cheapo - u can't tell the difference in the final curry.

I'd go even further and say you can't tell the difference whether you add them or leave them out. So why bother adding them at all?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2010, 08:02 AM »
Secret Santa,

the same has crossed my mind. a good friend finishes gravy by adding a little mash - the reason stated being to add a little thickness - it does more than that though it sort of adds a smoothness and does bring an extra flavour.

i find i can't budge the saffron (of which this base is very similar) from my top 3. i put this down mainly to the spice mix and the potato. i like the oil too.

i'm certainly not encouraging potato as an essential ingredient in fact for sure i would not put it in the other bases i make. a base with potato does work and in terms of variation of base is not a bad choice.

depends i guess if u stick to making just 1 preferred base or like a change now and again.

Offline Gezh

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 09, 2010, 08:38 AM »
I just finished my first batch of this base, having made a range of dishes from it.

Not my favourite so far, I must admit. I think it has too much in it, and doesn't leave enough to the final cooking. Tinned tomatoes are a no-no for me from now on, you can taste them in all the dishes, and the use of chilli / mirch in my opinion should mostly be left until the final cook too. Oh and the potato didn't really add anything as far as I can tell.

Nice, but not as good as my first batch of BE, which is narrowly winning over CA's sauce.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 09, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Tinned tomatoes are a no-no for me from now on

I'm in two minds about that. It seems clear to me that most of the BIRs are definitely using tinned tomatoes in their bases, so if you don't then it's not really BIR style.

On the other hand I made CA's base and that has no tinned tomatoes and it produced a nice sweet flavour which I put down to the lack of tinned tomatoes. I liked CA's base for that reason.

the use of chilli / mirch in my opinion should mostly be left until the final cook too. Oh and the potato didn't really add anything as far as I can tell.

Couldn't agree more.

not as good as my first batch of BE, which is narrowly winning over CA's sauce.

Again that mirrors my thoughts exactly.

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 27, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Has anyone made a vindaloo specifically for this base??

Yes.  Considering the only real difference IMHO between a Madras and a Vindaloo in a BIR is the amount of chilli powder, just follow SnS's Madras recipe but add more Chilli Powder/Deggi Mirch to taste!  ;D

Like I've said before...  remove the chilli powder and substitute the madras curry powder for mild curry powder, and this base will seemingly suit most curries nicely!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes