Author Topic: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008  (Read 98085 times)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Nice Post smokenspices,

I really love the pic of that madras on page 1, excellent presentation and amazing madras sauce colour.  You should be very proud of that.

I will be trying this one shortly and will aim with my new camera to take some great photos.

Stew ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Bobby/Sns,

please confirm if i've got the right stuff - i have "deggi mirch" which i've recently bought but not yet used - looks and tastes impressive

is this "kashmiri mirch".

on the rest i'm speechless - i just can't imagine saffron being improved. your cooking credentials for me are top notch so i expect i will have to eat my hat (as long as it's a curry one).

setting off for ingredients!

I just bought a 500g box of Kashmiri Chilli. Mirch or Mirchi means chilli in Hindi. Kashmiri Mirch (chilli), so I'm told, is just a blend of different red Kashmiri chillies. It has similar heat to normal Chilli powder but a more distinct flavour.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 10:11 AM »
thanks SnS.

i'm going to have to look harder in my local Asian shops to get the kashmiri - it seems to be the only thing absent in the MDH range being stocked.

anyhow base is on the go with deggi in place of kashi.

i do like the addition of coriander (used in the rajver) - adds a touch of class for me.

the rest seems a little too close for comfort to the saffron except for the kashi and rajah. the trouble is for me having consistently got such good results before from the saffron at this point i just can't see how this recipe is getting closer to BIR.

I promise, this recipe is off the scale. It makes a tub of Safron look like a tub of poop when sat next to it. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. It really is excellent.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 10:15 AM »
i've completed the extra simmer aiming for the moorish taste on 1/2 the batch.

That's a totally different colour to mine. Mine is a vibrant orange, due to the red pepper, Kashmiri Mirch and whole can of tomatoes. That's far too brown IMHO.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 10:17 AM »
Hi Guys
apologies if this is not the right place to post but please see below pictures of SnS's base that I made earlier today.

That's the wrong colour too. I don't think you guys are using Kashmiri Mirch... ::)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 10:21 AM »
hi sns
the lemon juice gives the sour element to the madras definition  "hot and sour" on pretty much every curryhouse menu. admittedly as i have said this will be regional. have you not read the bruce edwards articles?
and the msg may as i ifindforus' base recipe be used in the base but i would not put it in the final dish. i suggest you try the same quantity of salt in the madras in place of the msg and i'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised. but hell what do i know!
regards
gary

Hey Parker,

I'm not big on lemon juice in my Madras. They tend not to do it up here in Edinburgh and I really notice it standing out when I have got a Madras with it in. It's really just what you're used to I think.

As for MSG, I add salt also. I personally have never found the MSG making any notable difference in my curries, this one included.

I have also tried adding MSG to Grolsch while indulging in a beer / curry maing session. I have to say, I prefer it without the MSG ;D It's not great on popcorn either. It makes it sort of meaty and gives you a serious thirst!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:42 AM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 10:29 AM »
On Friday night I got home to my wonderful freezerful of this base. Inspired by my recent results, I went for the works, freshly fried popodums, BB's spicy onion salad and of course another Madras, with Pillau rice. Delicious.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 09:12 PM »
Bobby,

your right i was unable to use kashmiri mirch. i went to my local store a few weeks ago and the man i've grown to trust sold me MDH Deggi Mirch. It says on the tin "packet", "chilli powder for curries".

it's clearly not the real stuff although it has a place as a substitute for chilli where as - as i understand it the kashmiri is substitute for paprika in this recipe.

on the brown stuff picture - i divided the finished as spec batch (other than the kashmiri mirch) into 2 containers. one 1/2 remains as spec the other 1/2 i simmered for a further 2 hrs and reclaimed the oil - that's why it looks darker (this is now how i make my saffron base except i only simmer an extra 1 hr).

i am targeting cooking with both batches tomorrow night. i don't question yours and SnS words on this base. it's currently sitting 4th in my fav bases - i just don't know yet (until i cook with it whether it's in the top 3).

the only niggle is that i have not used the kashmiri mirch and the spice mix that has gone into the base is v.similar to what i use at frying stage so overall the net result for me may not be so different - i hope it is as striving towards BIR is our sole and collective goal.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 09:39 PM »
Hi Jerry

I read a few months ago that the MDH version of Deghee Mirch is particularly hot and is definitely not a good substitute for paprika.

Other Deghee Mirch brands use Kashmiri chiles (as it is supposed to be) and are similar to MDH's 'Kashmiri Mirch' (ie: sweeter, less hot and bright red).

SnS  ;)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 01:16 AM »
Maybe someone can clarify... what exactly is it that Kashmiri Mirch is adding to this base/Madras?

I actually used Lal Mirch (another mild but quite red chilli powder) for the base, and used paprika in place of Kashmiri Mirch in the Madras.

If there's something flavour-wise in this type of chilli could someone explain. BB seems to be very firm on this point.

I always assumed that the differentiator between chilli powders (deggi, lal, resham patti, extra hot...) was the heat level. Granted they come from different types of chillies, so I'm really not too sure any more.

--- Josh

©2024 Curry Recipes