Author Topic: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008  (Read 98082 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 07:44 AM »
SnS/Josh,

the MDH Deggi mirch is definitely a chilli as SnS says - it's surprisingly mellow though and bright red but not sweet. i am thinking of using it in bases in the future.

i'd like to get my hands on the kashi though given BB's sold on it. i do find my rajah paprika very good (much better than supermarket etc).

i used the deggi instead of the kashi in the base and added chilli powder for the chilli powder and i can see that's why my make of the base is "too" hot.

i will use paprika instead of kashi for the cooking as i can't get any (this week) ? this sits better with me as I?m a big fan of paprika particularly the smoked La Chinata (fantastic in paella).

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 09:20 AM »
Kashmiri Mirch here

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 10:03 PM »
Hi Guys

Made batch 4 tonight with photos - recipe now illustrated (see revised Page 1)

Regards
SnS  ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Beautifully illustrated now SnS, good work ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 12:01 AM »
i was unable to use kashmiri mirch. i went to my local store a few weeks ago and the man i've grown to trust sold me MDH Deggi Mirch.

PM me his address and we'll get SnS round with the chef's spoon! ;D

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 12:47 AM »
SnS, what exactly was revised in the recipe? I took a look but nothing stood out...

Thanks! This is a great base! Halfway through and loving it.

-- Josh

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2008, 12:59 AM »
SnS, what exactly was revised in the recipe? I took a look but nothing stood out...

Thanks! This is a great base! Halfway through and loving it.

-- Josh

I've added some pictures Josh ... and changed the MSG for optional salt ... that's it  ::) plus a few more details?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:07 AM by smokenspices »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 01:05 AM »
Oh and I think red pepper is better than green.

.... and forget OIL RECLAIM cos there is none ...  ;) Ha Hah

(in fact the REAL basis for development of this new base was to make sure there was NOTHING to reclaim)  8)

LOL

SnS  ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:06 AM by smokenspices »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 04:39 AM »
Yeah I went with red pepper with my effort.

As for oil reclaim, I did have a pretty good oil separation at the end of the 30 minute simmer. Not enough to reclaim (or should I say have the patience to) but it was there. I used the prescribed amount of oil in the base recipe.

What I did find, though, was in the final Madras you didn't specify how much oil to fry the g/g and puree in, so I went with my usual 3T of oil. With the oil in the base (not reclaimed) there was too much oil in the final finished Madras. I had to drain some.

Not a knock in any way, but an observation.

--- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Made a variety of curry sauces along side the SnS Madras spice mix and cooking technique (listed below).

In summary all finished curry sauces were very high quality. The evening of cooking raised more questions than were answered (which I am OK with). The evening was very enjoyable ? many thanks to SnS and Bobby for the inspiration. I feel I?ve learnt a lot.

Observations:
1) Kasmiri Mirch - I did not have it to try. I did use the deggi mirch for the 1st time as a substitute for std chilli powder (rajah) in my std spice mix. It was better but not a step improvement. I feel the same will apply to the KM as a substitute for paprika.
2) SnS Madras ? This was very good ? I was well taken aback by how much I liked the spice mix. Was it a step improvement on what I cook on a regular basis ? no. Will I use the spice mix again - most definitely
3) Water Frying Trick ? This amazingly does produce a step improvement. I was puzzled by this as I can?t believe BIR?s will have the inclination to following the process. I made and exact copy of the madras cooking it by my std technique ? it was not as good but realised the sauce was not as concentrated so I put it back in the pan and fried it off ? result was smaller finished volume than with the water method but same eventual taste
4) Tomato Puree ? I use 2 tbsp per portion which is 6 times the SnS madras amount ? yet both turn out equivalent quality of taste
5) Extra Simmer & Oil Reclaim ? for this base there is no benefit ? end curry taste is same

Conclusions
1) This base is not intended for oil reclaim and should not be used for the purpose. Used with the water frying trick it delivers an equivalent standard curry to the oil reclaim process.
2) Large qty of tomato puree at frying stage is not essential to the taste
3) Adding methi to the spice mix as opposed to after base gives a better taste (I?d previously discounted it on taste)

For me questions going forward:
1) What is the optimum ratio of oil, onion and water in a base ? how does the water trick work and how do BIR?s avoid it
2) Is curry powder needed in a spice mix ? is it better added at the base stage
3) Did that pinch of garam make much difference ? I?d previously discounted it

Curry sauces for info:

1) My std madras using as spec base with old batch of LB spice mix
2) My std madras using as spec base with new batch LB spice mix (chilli replaced by deggi mirch)
3) My std madras using June 2008_rec base with new batch LB spice mix
4) Repeat of 2
5) SnS madras using as spec base and as spec spice mix
6) My std madras using SnS spice mix
7) Re fry off of curry 6

Nb ?as spec base? means the June 2008 base and ?June2008_rec? means June 2008 base simmered for extra 2hrs and oil reclaimed?

have attached pic of the SnS Madras

©2024 Curry Recipes