Author Topic: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008  (Read 96903 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 06:08 PM »
re the madras recipe imho i don't think a BIR would go near msg

MSG (a flavour enhancer) used to be used in nearly all Indian and Chinese takaways in the 70's. Use salt if you prefer - neither are good for you.

You may find the first post in this thread of interest
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,172.msg864.html#msg864

Newspaper link here
http://shopping.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,716779,00.html

and this link regarding glutumates
http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,1614469,00.html

What is this thing with lemon juice in a Madras??? Not necessary, surely just a preference.

SnS
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:42 PM by smokenspices »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 11:59 PM »
I made the base and tried the Madras. Both to spec with no modification.

The base was definitely a step forward in the right direction. The coriander and red pepper made a difference.

The resultant Madras was also excellent. Great job SnS!

Question - curious to know what led you to the addition of some more obscure ingredients? Fenugreek powder, Kashmiri Mirch, etc.

I will have to check the versatility of this base with something like a Korma or CTM. The chilli blend definitely gave this base a kick.

--- Josh

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 12:06 AM »
Question - curious to know what led you to the addition of some more obscure ingredients? Fenugreek powder, Kashmiri Mirch, etc.
Glad you enjoyed it Josh.

Recipe & ingredients by trial & error I suppose, although I now use Kashmiri Mirch instead of Paprika.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 10:40 AM »
i've completed the extra simmer aiming for the moorish taste on 1/2 the batch.

i will have to cook with it but at the mo the June08 "moorish" is not as good as the Saffron "moorish".

this i believe is down to the fact that the new recipe is not setup (and is not intended) to do this.

more oil would need adding at the start (reclaimed at the end) and a greater proportion of onion is needed than the existing 32% bulk veg ratio c/w 40% saffron (my CRO2 dev base is currently at 80%)

the link associated with the "moorish" taste is:http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.msg23751.html#msg23751

don't get me wrong this is a very good base. currently saffron sits in my top 3 along with rajver and ifindforu. each has it's own characteristics and benefits. i'm just not sure this is number 4 or whether it really is challenging for a top 3 spot.

i do think with a little tweaking along with the changes already made (coriander, spices) it certainly has the potential to challenge the other 3.

the cooking will give me more of an idea - i do like the depth of spice so remain hopeful.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 12:26 PM »
To be honest Jerry it might have been better that you tried the recipe as it was intended, rather than splitting the base, adding extra water, adjusting cooking times and trying to reclaim oil to achieve your 'moorish' taste (which I may add - I believe it already had). ;)

After making the base, did you not make a curry with this last night?

Regards
SnS

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 01:33 PM »
i have kept to the recipe as intended (except the kashi). the LH bowl contains the original as spec base (but now only 1/2 of the original 3.5l finished base).

the other 1/2 of the base is in the RH bowl ie 1750ml. this has been subjected to the additional cooking. unfortunately i added 700ml of water (which with hindsight was too much - i've always had difficulty getting the saffron to release oil so that's why i added more water than i thought i needed i normally add 250ml only). only 400ml of the added water had evaporated after the 1st 1hr of additional simmer. i therefore simmered for a further 1 hr ie 2hrs over and above the spec. the volume is now roughly 1750ml ie what i started with except 50ml of oil has been removed.

i therefore have 2 completely different bases to try at the cooking stage.

to get a true comparison of the moorish taste i would have needed to make 2 batches of the base - 1 as per spec and 1 with more oil, more onion and less water.

i don't have msg so have not tried the as spec madras.  i have not cooked with either base as a result.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 02:10 PM »
Hi Jerry

That is clearer. I got the impression you divided the recipe into two pots  ::)

The MSG is literally a pinch - a tiny amount (the amount you get when pinched between the tips of the thumb and the index finger). Use a little salt if you haven't got MSG - it probably won't make a lot of difference (I'll try it with salt next time).

SnS  ;)

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 02:35 PM »
Hi Guys
apologies if this is not the right place to post but please see below pictures of SnS's base that I made earlier today.
Smells lovely can't wait to use it.
Matt

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 02:43 PM »
hi sns
the lemon juice gives the sour element to the madras definition  "hot and sour" on pretty much every curryhouse menu. admittedly as i have said this will be regional. have you not read the bruce edwards articles?
and the msg may as i ifindforus' base recipe be used in the base but i would not put it in the final dish. i suggest you try the same quantity of salt in the madras in place of the msg and i'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised. but hell what do i know!
regards
gary

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 03:05 PM »
the lemon juice gives the sour element to the madras definition  "hot and sour" on pretty much every curryhouse menu. admittedly as i have said this will be regional. have you not read the bruce edwards articles?

I've seen recipes with and without it, so I put it down to personal preference (like adding sugar and coriander leaf). As it can be added at the last moment it's down to the individual, but doesn't really affect the guts of the recipe. If I want hot, sweet & sour curry I'd personally go for a Pathia. I certainly can't recall Madras being decribed as Hot & Sour, but like you said, this may vary from region to region.

and the msg may as i ifindforus' base recipe be used in the base but i would not put it in the final dish. i suggest you try the same quantity of salt in the madras in place of the msg and i'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised. but hell what do i know!

I don't really see the difference - use more in the base or use less in the curry - either way it's still used. As I've pointed out (above post), I guess for the amount used, substituting a little salt would probably not make a lot of difference to the outcome (hence I've now added the option to the recipe). Thanks for mentioning it - I always forget than many still dislike using it (I trust these people don't use Marmite or Soya sauce either!).

Best regards
SnS  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes