Author Topic: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008  (Read 98106 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008
« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Which others have your tried 976bar?

Also this one.......

Base Gravy from Ashoka at the Quay

Ingredients:
3 kgs of chopped onions
50 gms Cumin Powder
60 gms  Salt
water to cover the onions
Add 100 gms of Tomato paste
100 gms of the Garlic/Ginger paste
10-20 gms of Chili powder (to taste but he recommended 10 since more can be added when cooking)
15 gms Curry powder
20 gms Turmeric
1 block of Coconut block
250 gms Vegetable margarine (again he uses East End Brand)
250 gms of oil

Method:
Place in pot and cover with water and bring to the boil before simmering until onions are soft.  Make sure the onions don't become dry keep your eye on the water.

Once soft add the remainder of ingredients then blitz with blender and continue to gently simmer for 1 hour

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 06, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I'm just knocking up my fifth batch of this base. This time I have only used half a tin of plum tomatoes taking into account the comments about too much tomato.

I'll let you know if it is better or worse with this change when I've made a curry with it.

Also, first time I tried my hand blender and I was surprised how effective it was. Previously I had used my upright 1.5 litre blender but so much cleaning to do afterwards.  I've got my new freezer now so will experiment soon with a different base recipe.

Paul.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 13, 2009, 04:03 PM »
OK - I made this base with only half a tin of tomatoes.

Result - Changed the colour to a more orangey/yellow tint. Still tasted good on its own - perhaps the flavour of the fresh corriander shines through a little more.

Made my regular chicken bhuna last night and I can't really say it tasted much different from previous meals although my wife seemed to enjoy it more than usual.

Conclusion - I don't know whether this improved it or not - it still tasted good.
It may make a better Korma due to less tomatoes but the change is quite subtle.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 14, 2009, 09:47 AM »
Hi Paul

There are only two comments about the base being 'too tomatoey' (from SS and CA), otherwise this recipe has mostly very good feedback - without adjusting the tomato content.

As this recipe is intended to be used for the main BIR base gravy, unless you're making a mild, creamy type curry (korma, pasanda, etc) or detest the taste of tomato, I really can't see a problem. The three bases I've seen cooked (by different BIR chefs) contained tinned tomato.

As I use supermarket economy chopped tomatoes in this base, I wonder whether the more expensive brands of tinned tomato (such a Italia Napolino) may be too acid. I know they do taste stronger and I wonder whether this 'variation' may affect the final base.

SnS  ;)

Offline chanser

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 15, 2009, 12:22 PM »
I've made this base a couple of times now.

I've made a few madras, Ceylon, Dopiaza (I also made a passanda which was absoloutely fine).

All of these were fantastic and not too tomatoey.

I used an economy range of tomatos that cost 17p.

All my curries were significantly better than anyting I've made before, especially the Ceylon.

I may well try some of the other bases on the site at some point but I'm in no rush.  This base is spot on for me.  It certainly suits my tastes and I'm looking forward to my next lot of curries.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I've made this base a couple of times now.

I've made a few madras, Ceylon, Dopiaza (I also made a passanda which was absoloutely fine).

All of these were fantastic and not too tomatoey.

I used an economy range of tomatos that cost 17p.

All my curries were significantly better than anyting I've made before, especially the Ceylon.

I may well try some of the other bases on the site at some point but I'm in no rush.  This base is spot on for me.  It certainly suits my tastes and I'm looking forward to my next lot of curries.

I have to admit Chanser, this base works best for me too, having tried a few others.

Offline chanser

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2009, 02:04 PM »
Definately.

I think the use of shops own tomatoes may well affect the final base as SnS says.

Budget brands do tend to be less tomatoey I think because the sauce they are in is more diluted than the expensive brands.

I will continue on with the budget brands.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2009, 03:13 PM »
(I also made a passanda which was absoloutely fine).

That's a surprise. How was the final colour?
Which recipe did you use for this chanser?

Offline chanser

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 15, 2009, 04:05 PM »
Hi SnS

It was based on the Kris Dhillon recipe that you posted elsewhere on the site.

I used chicken rather than lamb, I didn't shake a great deal of the yoghurt off the chicken, in fact I think I added a bit extra to the gravy and I got a very nice yellow/orange colour. 

I added a few fresh chilis to give it a kick, the final dish definately had a tase I would have been happy with from a takeaway.

I have only ordered Passandas a few times when the mood takes me and they have ranged form very mild to fairly hot and from yellow to bright red.

The one I made was as good if not better than most of these. 

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2009, 07:02 PM »
Hi SnS and BB,

Firstly, I must say what a great post, very useful.  I made this base last night and I must say how impressed I am with it.  It is quite different than my usual base (Kushi Base) in the fact that it is far simpler with less ingredients and a easier cooking method.

I found that the base tasted like a very mild tomato soup with a similar consistancy. Hope this description does not offend you, it's just what it reminded me of.  I think the point that I am trying to make is, that it tasted quite nice unlike my Kushi base, which taste kind of soapy, something that the chef say's it is supposed to taste like.

Another thing that I noticed is that it uses more than twice the amount of oil than the Kushi base. For me, that is a good thing as that is where I believe the BIR taste comes from.  What did suprise me was that there was no oil seperation whilst cooking the base.  I know that in your photo's this is demonstrated but I did still expect a little. The finished base had a beautiful, glossy appearance, obviously down to the oil!

Anyway, with the base finished and slightly I cooled, gave it a little taste, it was then I soon realised my schoolboy error.  I had only gone and used Deggi Mirch instead of Kasmir Mirch...D'Oh..  It was quite spicy for a base and I was worried that my wife would spot it straight away. 

I went on to make her a Veggie Bhuna using my usual spice blend, again courtesy of Kushi.  I made my self a Jal Frezi and my son a chicken Bhuna.  I like to make my curries a while before we sit down and eat, just to give me some time to get my starters ready really.  I tend to put them in the plastic containers that you usually get from Chinese TA food, and just let them rest after some furious cooking.

This for me is where the magic happend!  We sat down and ate some starters, Seek Kebabs whilst the curries was resting.  When it was time to slightly reheat the curries, I popped the lids and there it was!,  the curries had released their oil which I am convinced is down to the base. I was pleased to see this, as I simply tilted the containers and spooned off about a tablespoon from each.

I then stirred the curries through and give them 1 min each in the microwave, contriversal I know but there you go lol.   The end result was almost the best curry that I have ever had the pleasure of eating.

Now I say almost because the best curry that I have ever eaten was the one I made tonight using guess what?   the reclaimed oil from the night before. This just took the dish to the nest level IMO.

I really hope that CA reads this post also because I guess it kind of confirms what I believe that CA talks about in another post, whereby he is convinced that the BIR taste comes from a spiced oil!   I am possitive of this now and will continue making my curries in this way.

On my next curry night, I will take photo's and post them on here for you to let me know what you think or if you believe that the appearance is not quite right.

All in all, a great base with a great end dish which made for a very successful curry night.

Many thanks SnS and BB

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes