Author Topic: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008  (Read 97209 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Base Gravy June 2008
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2009, 08:02 PM »
I found that the base tasted like a very mild tomato soup with a similar consistancy. Hope this description does not offend you...

Careful Razor he takes these things very much to heart, at least if my experience is anything to go by!  ;)

But I totally agree with you, it's very much like a spicy tomato soup.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2009, 09:19 PM »
lol ;D Thanks for the heads up SS. I hope he understands, it wasn't meant as a critisism, just an observation.  What I would say, is that it should be a very versitile base, that's if you don't balls it up by using Deggi Mirch in place of Kashmiri Mirch  ::) like me.  Good for CTM I would imagine? I like the idea of using the base a bit at a time, build up the final dish to the correct volume and consistancy. 

Have you tried this SS, if so, what was your conclusion?

Thanks,
Ray

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2009, 09:21 PM »
D'oh  :P

Obviously, if you agree with me, then you must have tried it.  Don't worry, I'm not always this gormless ha  ;D

Ray

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2009, 09:02 PM »
Hi there i am new to this forum, i am from Glasgow and have nee tasting curries for 15 yrs now, Glasgow is the best place for curries in the uk and always wins awards for it, now onto the recipe by SNS , i have always wanted to make a curry and always failed , i tried this recipe and i cant believe how good it is, i would live to say thank you very much for your kindest efforts, i followed the recipe to the T and its amazing !!!

Offline Currly

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 15, 2009, 08:42 PM »
First thanks for the post and the detail, not mention the photos.
I have just 10 minutes of simmering and then I will be using the gravy to make a pathia.
I will post back to let all know how it goes.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2009, 01:48 PM »
I have made this several times (inc. the accompanying Madras recipe) and it is superb. One question: are 'salad potatoes' mandatory? Can regular potatoes be used instead?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2009, 10:22 PM »
question: are 'salad potatoes' mandatory? Can regular potatoes be used instead?

The real question is: are potatoes necessary at all?

And my answer, which has never changed and won't until someone comes up with a plausible reason for their use, is NO!   ::)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2009, 11:13 AM »
I've made loads of this base. The last one I made up to 5 litres and halved the tinned tomato quantity. I also added a stick of celery for the hell of it and used expensive mild onions (they were Tesco organic - the only mild ones in stock).

The resulting base was delicious and sweet tasting, as were the curries that followed.

Regarding the potato, I don't think it would make any real difference if left out altogether. I would be surprised if anyone could tell the difference with or without the spuds.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 01, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I've had great success with this so far. Next time I will omit the potatoes all together and see how that goes.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2009, 03:09 PM »

The real question is: are potatoes necessary at all?

And my answer, which has never changed and won't until someone comes up with a plausible reason for their use, is NO!   ::)

Potatoes (peeled but left whole) should be mandatory in ALL bases. Removed before blending the base, they make the most fantastic aloo side dishes, if, you can manage to resist scoffing them just as they are, fabulous, mana, ambrosiacal things.
Plausible enough for yer???

Cheers
CoR

©2024 Curry Recipes