Author Topic: pat chapman has a new curry book out  (Read 20482 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: pat chapman has a new curry book out
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2005, 08:32 AM »
I`ve had some very good results with KD`s base sauce 50% there , added smell & little more sweet/sour & it would be 100% right & i`m getting fed up hearing people moaning about curry books use the positive aspects of them to improve your own results, relax !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 09:18 AM by Admin »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2005, 01:05 PM »
I agree, lets agree to be different & not let all our differences divide us but join us, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee happy days !!!!. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
To put the record straight Dylan i am big but very peacefull & unaggressive, i disagree with violence most strongly ( a real paradox in human form !!! ;) ;) ;) ).And i thought i brought a bit of comic relief to this forum anyhow ( DARTHY gonna cry now booohooobooohooo !! :( :( :( :( ).
                             But lets carry on with this great forum people.
  Does that mean the Chainsaw has to go back now ???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2005, 01:07 PM »
By the way thanks Blondie,
you are our rock !!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2005, 06:57 PM »
hi guys/girls
i bought PC's "the real fast curry  cookbook" some interesting recipes. will post some of the as soon as i get the opportunity.

but just a quick one for instant chicken tikka

300-350g chicken breast
2tbsp veg oil
2tsp minced garlic
2tbsp tandoori curry powder( 2tbsp tomato soup powder,2tbsp g. coriander,5tsp g. cummin,5tsp garlic powder,5tsp paproja, 4tsp mango powder,4tsp dried mint,3tsp chilli powder,2tsp salt)
2 tbsp tomato puree
1/3 tsp salt
red wine(for the" chef" to drink as he cooks it )
cut the chicken into tikka size pieces
mix all the remainiing ingredients together in a bowl add the chicken ensuring that all the pieces are coated well
heat the wok. add the contents of the bowl to the pan and stir-fry on medium heat until the chicken is cooked(10-15 mins) if it starts to dry up sticking and smoking add a couple tbsps of water or red wine ( if you have any left :))

i'm going to try to be brave and test this recipe tonight.
will give results asap ;)

regards
gary :)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 07:19 PM »
i bought PC's "the real fast curry cookbook" some interesting recipes. will post some of the as soon as i get the opportunity.

'The real fast way to make money out of rehashed shite cookbook' more like.

I feel better now I've got that out. Do we have to keep peddling this blokes muck. It's been said before, read this forum and there's much more and much better here.

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2005, 07:25 PM »
but just a quick one for instant chicken tikka

300-350g chicken breast
2tbsp veg oil
2tsp minced garlic
2tbsp tandoori curry powder( 2tbsp tomato soup powder,2tbsp g. coriander,5tsp g. cummin,5tsp garlic powder,5tsp paproja, 4tsp mango powder,4tsp dried mint,3tsp chilli powder,2tsp salt)
2 tbsp tomato puree
1/3 tsp salt
red wine(for the" chef" to drink as he cooks it )
cut the chicken into tikka size pieces
mix all the remainiing ingredients together in a bowl add the chicken ensuring that all the pieces are coated well
heat the wok. add the contents of the bowl to the pan and stir-fry on medium heat until the chicken is cooked(10-15 mins) if it starts to dry up sticking and smoking add a couple tbsps of water or red wine ( if you have any left :))

i'm going to try to be brave and test this recipe tonight.
will give results asap ;)

regards
gary :)

has anyone tried this ? I'm on the hunt foir BIR tikka (without yogart) and this might foot the bill........

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Ive done something similar with chicken tikka (stir fried it rather than grilling it or oven baking it) and it turned out fine, however unless you marinade it for a while it wont be as tender. I personally would use something like Bruce Edwards recipe and marinade for about 2-3 days

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2005, 06:54 AM »
Youve got to bear in mind these books are old now (80's) and there werent too many people trying to do what Pat was doing and I think he deserves some credit for that, I think we've been a bit harsh on him. He was only trying to do in the 80's what we are doing now in this forum (and without the internet  ;D)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2005, 09:15 AM »
Youve got to bear in mind these books are old now (80's) and there werent too many people trying to do what Pat was doing

Mark, 20(ish) years ago when I first bought two of Pat's books I was quite pleased with them. They introduced the restaurant method, but not one of the curries was close to what I was eating in restaurants. They had the texture but not the smell or the taste.

That was 20 years ago and despite having all that time to get it right and access to many restaurant kitchens, the mongrel is still rehashing the same books with the same recipes that still don't match anything I eat in restaurants. I think we'll have to differ on this, If he changes the titles to 'close approximation of restaurant curries' then I'll stop whinging? ? :-\

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2005, 10:03 AM »
I don't give him any credit, other than for a bit of background information. The books are highly deceptive. On the cover, they promise restaurant recipes. That's not what you find inside, for the most part. And the recipes which may actually come from real BIRs must have been butchered so they will not produce anywhere near the same result as the actual restaurant would. Can you imagine any BIR going through Chapman's complex array of separate purees and spice mixes, and an hour's cooking in the oven, when someone wants a curry in five minutes flat?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 10:24 AM by George »

©2024 Curry Recipes