Author Topic: Recipe for onion gravy (curry base sauce) from Rajver in Biddenden  (Read 8996 times)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Hello again,
 the very nice man at the indian restaurant gave me the recipe for his onion gravy :) after i had given a few compliments and a 6 pack of cadburys' cream eggs. so here goes

4 onions chopped or sliced
1 green pepper
5 green chillies
2 chopped carrots
1/2 tin of plum tomatoes
1/2 tbsp salt
1 cup (approx 250ml) vegetable oil
1/2 bunch coriander chopped
500ml water

Put all the above into a large saucepan and bring to boil and then keep at a regular boil not to furious :) for 30 mins until all ingredients are soft.
then add

2tbsp turmeric
1tbsp chilli powder
1tbsp ground coriander
1tbsp ground cummin
1tbsp garam masala

mix in well and then reduce heat and simmer for 30  mins. allow to cool slightly and then blend until smooth.

i asked the chef about garlic. he said it is optional. but he didn't :)

recipe for chcken vindaloo will follow as soon i have written it up. ::) sorry guys/girls  :'(
it smells fantastic when cooking.
the recipe for the vindaloo  it very similar to curry queens prawn vindaloo visit to brick lane without garlic but adding potato towards then end of cooking  ;)
enjoy trying this as it is very different to the recipes & times which i have seen
regards
gary :)

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Gary,

Great to have something else to work on, thanks for that.  This forum seems to have almost come to a stand still recently.   I shall certainly have a go at this one!  4 onions, are they  English onions or Spanish, medium or large ones?  It sounds the business too, can't wait to try it tomorrow to make this base!  Please post recipe asap the vindaloo recipe so that I can cook it on Friday or Saturday night.  Thanks again and I will post results.  See what bribes can do!!!

Offline joe2

• Chef
    • View Profile
Five chillies plus 1 tsp chilly powder per four onions??
What if we are making korma or one of the other mild curries.
This can't be right surely.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
That base looks like it will be pretty hot!!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Seems similar to  the one Curry King & i have been given by local take-away`s , i bet it will taste good , gonna try it , nice to see someone else getting in there LETS ALL DO IT !!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Well done Woodpecker21 its good to see new variations and recipes on the base.
I still have not contributed from a chat to a curry man as yet but its on the cards shortly.

Great idea as well to add the curry house name and location.....

S 8)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
That base looks like it will be pretty hot!!
hi all,
yes it is a bit hot, but then again you wouldn't need to add any chilli to the milder dishes. i gave the recipe for this sauce to a friend  he cooked it at weekend added garlic about four cloves to it then cooked his chicken in the gravy added some cream both he and his wife loved it. on my visit to the kitchen i saw all the normal ingredients tomato paste, spice mix etc... uht single cream and evaporated milk. wish i hadn't been so excited & overwhelmed ( heart was racing :)) it was a bit surreal never thinking that i would ever get to get inside a BIR kitchen let alone be shown how to cook a dish & will post the vindaloo recipe tomorrow when i have more time  :). i have got takeaway on my mind so i may have a recipe for chicken phall as well fingers crossed ;D so darth look out.

i'll be back :)  ::)
regards to you all
gary

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Bring on that phall (Although some of my curries are hotter than a phall, yes i like heat, its no macho trip !!). ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe for onion gravy (curry base sauce) from Rajver in Biddenden
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 06:57 PM »
This sauce sounds really yummy, I shall give it a go next week I think.  Thanks!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes