Author Topic: SnS's Madras using SnS's Base June 2008  (Read 34982 times)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Madras using SnS's Base June 2008
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 11:14 PM »
Panpot, where is Curryqueens recipe, I can't see it in the 'Pilau Rice' sections of 'Starters and Side Dishes'?

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 06:23 PM »
I printed it off a couple of years ago and just make it from it notes. I am returning home tomorrow I will look it out and get back to you by Sat  morning.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 12:41 PM »
Adriandavidb, I have looked out my old copy of the recipe and it is dated July 29,2005,09:23:15. The way I have printed it,it doesn't have who posted it but I have always thought it was CurryQueen. Hopefully Stew or someone else can reinstate the thread or recipe as it seems to have been edited out. It is by the far the best one I have been able to use. If they cant I will see if I can post it myself.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 02:12 PM »
Thank's for looking anyway, Panpot.

Offline k21000

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 08:11 PM »
I have used this madras recipe with the SnS base for over six months now. I have to confess, that as a TOTAL newbie to curry cooking, it was the first one I looked at on this forum and I fancied giving it a go. I have probably made about 6-8 curries with it. My finished curry never seemed to taste or look much like any BIR I have tried, in fact, it seemed bland overall and tasted a bit like spicy curried soup if you know what I mean. I guessed I must be doing something wrong. To cut a long story short, I believe that the 2 major mistakes I were making are as follows:

1. Not letting the spices fry enough. To me, the smell of 'toffee' seemed to be there as soon as I started frying them. I was paranoid about burning the spices, so I think they were never releasing the full flavour.

2. Using a larger stainless steel pan instead of the non-stick pan I was using. I am now almost stir-frying the spices and base. I found that this frequent method of stirring on a fairly high heat meant that I did not have to add any water.

My final method of producing what I class as the best curry I have ever tasted to date is a bit of a variation of this madras recipe as follows (for 2 people):

1. Base gravy - same (I used 400ml in the end)
2. Double up on the spices, garlic, tomato paste and ginger. I added 1 tsp of Rajah curry powder to the spices.
3. Seal and partly cook the chicken in another pan with some chunks of red pepper and onion in oil with a teaspoon of curry powder. Set aside.
4. When the madras recipe says add the pre-cooked meat, add the chicken, pepper and onion mix in and add 2 thirds of a can of coconut cream (milk) to it. I used blue dragon.
5. Simmer for 20-25 mins.

I had to reclaim some oil, but the end result in my opinion is amazing. I will add some pics later.

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Hi All,

I really fancy having a go at this base today but my problem is I've got no carrots and the shops are closed (Sunday). Do you think the flavour would be wildly different if I left them out? Could I or should I substitute something else or increase one of the other veg? Should I just forget it for now?  ;D

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 05:16 PM »
Made a King Prawn Madras today and it's the closest yet to a BIR that I've achieved. Used the SnS 2008 base and the only difference to the recipe posted was that I didn't use Rhaja Madras powder, used a shop bought variety, also added extra water to achieve 2.65 litres.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:03 PM by qprbob »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 01:52 PM »
Hi All,

I really fancy having a go at this base today but my problem is I've got no carrots and the shops are closed (Sunday). Do you think the flavour would be wildly different if I left them out? Could I or should I substitute something else or increase one of the other veg? Should I just forget it for now?  ;D

Hi Currymonster

A bit late coming back - sorry.

No, carrots are important - as are all the other ingredients.

Regards
SnS

Offline k21000

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 03:06 PM »
The final curry. Things did not go to plan as far as eating times, so I had to put it in a plastic container and store it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Some may say it is too oily, but this is how I have seen many BIR's and it really tastes so much better than it looks.

Offline k21000

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 07:44 PM »
The latest one I have made did not include the peppers and onion. I also used less oil. The final result is even better. The sauce is really good and thick with no separation. See first pic. The second pic is the remaining curry plated up and left overnight in the fridge. Some oil has seperated, but it still looks VERY good. Unfortunately, I will have to eat it for research purposes. For my taste, I am getting closer to the perfect curry every time.

©2024 Curry Recipes