Author Topic: SnS's Madras using SnS's Base June 2008  (Read 34994 times)

Offline miklatov

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Madras using SnS's Base June 2008
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 08:20 PM »
Hello SnS and all  :)

I'm new to this place - superb website!  I've always wanted to try to make a BIR curry but never knew how, so I'm looking forward to trying out pretty much every recipe on here! ;D

So just tonight I tried this base and madras and what can I say except 'wow'!

Followed it almost to the letter (with the exception that I added a stick of celery instead of potatoes in the base.  Oh, and quorn fillets instead of meat/fish, being a veggie :)).  Absolutely delicious and what with having nearly 2 litres of base left I reckon I might make more tomorrow!

Here's a pic of my attempt - perhaps not as brown as it should be (or is it?) but definitely up there with the best of any BIR madras I've ever tasted!

So, thanks for the awesome recipe and I look forward to trying more!  :D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 09:27 PM »
Are you serious??? That's your first curry from the site! :-X

That looks absolutely perfect! Brilliant effort! That looks better than any of my curries and I've been knocking out hundreds! Well done! Looks like we have a real natural!

Also, SnS June 2008 is my favourite base, I've tried nearly all of them. Many other members would disagree however, but the base really caters for my taste buds.

I look forward to seeing your subsequent posts!

All the best,

BB.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 01:44 AM »
Whoa. Great first effort!  :o

The colour is spot on for me. Great oil balance too.

You've got a bright BIR future ahead of you  8)

-- Josh

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Hi Miklatov

Welome to the forum.

If it tastes as good as it looks - brilliant.

SnS  ;)

Offline slowhand

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 02:56 PM »
Hi

1st time post just to let you know that I followed the base and Madras and it did just what it said on the packet. Bang on. The heat for me was just right and there was no over powering aftertaste as with some other curries I've tried to follow. I might just add a bit more tomato to the base and Madras (only 'cos I like them)

I've frozen a portion just to see what it's like when reheated.

Sorry there are no pics as it was eaten before I thought about it. But with plenty of base left I'll try and get a piccie next time.

Once again thanks for the recipes.

Slowhand

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 03:43 PM »
Hi Slowhand

Welcome to the forum. Pleased your first attempt came out okay - quite rare, as typically it requires a little practice to get a 'bang on' curry.

Look forward to seeing some photos of your latest conquests.

SnS  ;)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 10:59 AM »
anyone tried adding lemon juice to this madras? curious to hear if that improves it

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 04:22 PM »
anyone tried adding lemon juice to this madras? curious to hear if that improves it

I'm not sure whether adding lemon juice 'improves' it as this is simply personal preference. Some (particularly in the North), swear that a Madras is not a Madras unless it has lemon juice added to it. I prefer it without.

SnS  ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009, 10:30 PM »
I've tried it with and without lemon juice, and with and without Worcestershire Sauce. It's slightly different each time but to honest not particularly better or worse whichever way.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 11:39 AM »
Hi everyone - my first post here. I chanced upon this site doing a Google for "Mr Huda" products and I'm so glad I registered.

I made the SnS base very close to the recipe (June 08).

For the madras I changed things a little because my wife would not enjoy a BIR madras strength curry. Things I changed were:

Marinaded chicken pieces in natural yoghurt with some Rajah mild madras powder mixed in.

Cooked finely chopped onions in a separate pan and added one broken green cardamom and one whole one, plus cinnamon stick.

Added chicken pieces to part cook with some chopped green pepper, finely sliced mild green chile and some tomato quarters. Then I added the contents of this frying pan to the main madras sauce pot and cooked for about 15-20 minutes.

I also added some coconut milk (wife insisted) but only used about an eighth of a standard block.

I also used a little more garlic paste, ginger paste and tomato paste than was in the recipe, probably about 50% more. I slightly reduced the proportion of cumin as I'm always worried about over egging the cumin.

The only chilli powder used was the bright red Kashmiri stuff from spicesofindia.

The end result - my best ever home cooked curry. If somebody had brought this to my house and said this is from the new Indian takeaway I would have believed it and given it 7 or 8 out of 10.

Mine is a bit lighter in colour to the others on here probably due to the yoghurt marinade and coconut milk.

Thanks to everybody - This dish, the base recipe and the technique have resurrected my interest in BIR style cooking.  :)

I'll try to attach a photo..

©2024 Curry Recipes