Author Topic: SnS's Madras using SnS's Base June 2008  (Read 35022 times)

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's Madras using SnS's Base June 2008
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2009, 12:08 AM »
Had another crack at your Madras today, but with changes. First of all, used your base, albeit with reduced chili powder in it. The Madras itself was made with one and half teaspoons of tomato paste instead of one. Secondly I used 1 Tsp of Deggi Murch and 1 of Kashmiri Murch, and no Garam Masala. Another addition for me was that, the oil was one Tbl spoon of reclaimed oil and one corn oil. Actually quiet a removal from yours.
This is now moving in the right direction for me. As for the use of Garam Masala in BIR's, I don't know, but I left it out on this occasion and it seemed the right thing to do. The precooked Chicken was also different, in that it was only boiled in water with half a Tsp of Tumeric as the Chicken I usually use has to much flavour and I did not want this to affect the final outcome.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2009, 01:16 PM »
I'm new to this and I tried this recipe for the first time today. Absolutley stunning!! For my first effort it actually tasted better that my local takeaway. I want to make a passanda for my missus now. Will be sticking to this recipe all the time now.
p.s. i used deggi mirch instead of kashmiri mirch. Is there much difference or does it matter which one i use?

Hi Ian

The MDH brand of Deggi Mirch is hotter than the MDH Kashmiri Mirch. It is discussed here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2791.0

Both of these, in my opinion, are less pungent than standard chilli powders.

RGDS
SnS  :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Phew.......

Just looked in the cupboard and found that my Kashmiri Chilli Powder is indeed Kashmiri Mirch ;)

I am going to be making this this week using SMS's base. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Actually, I couldn't wait and have just made the SNS base. I'm going to make the madras later with some Turkey Tikka I made yesterday.

Just one note about the method of making the madras on here, if using pre-cooked meat, I would reduce the sauce to the right consistency before adding the meat, otherwise it could turn out as tough as old boots, especially prawns.... :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2009, 11:27 AM »
Here are some pics (if they come out!!!!)of the SNS base I just made and have stored them at 500ml in pour and store bags apart from the 250ml carton I have kept aside for later. I have to admit it tastes wonderful on its own and is what I have been looking for, for a long long time :) There is also a picture of some Turkey Tikka I made yesterday.... Can't wait for later.... Turkey Tikka Madras :)

Offline guvvie

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Hi,

Been cooking curries for about 10 years and have never managed to get the BIR taste that I love so much, then someone recommended this site for recipes on avforums. I made SnS's base and madras tonight and me and the wife both absolutely loved it, thanks for sharing your recipe and am going to use your base to make a pathia next.

Offline martinr1000

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2009, 02:53 PM »
that tikka looks awesome, how did you make it?

Offline weeble

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2010, 06:52 PM »
hello

planning on giving this one and the base a try this weekend. really can't wait!  :)

just wanted to check before I start - someone mentioned at the start of this thread about using Madras powder. Should this be added? I've always used it in other recipes on here before.

:)

Offline jonhatto

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Hey ho everyone, my first post!
I've been cooking the recipes off here for a while now, with some good and some bad results....
I have stuck with SnS's for a while now as it has been giving me good results.  Although, I have started to modify ever so slightly with superb results last time.

I have been frying the onions before making the base and cooking the base till there's about 100ml's of oil on the top - an hour+ of simmering.  I then use some of the reclaimed oil to make the madras by following SnS's recipe and damn is it tasty!  The reclaimed oil is very dark brown and smells great.

Thanks for all the info everyone - love the site! :)

Jon

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2010, 06:14 PM »
jonhatto,

u're clearly going up the learning curve for sure.

the SnS base does make very good oil.

love the site too.

©2024 Curry Recipes