Author Topic: Talked about base sauce with take away owner and chef  (Read 84263 times)

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Talked about base sauce with take away owner and chef
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 08:21 PM »
Thanks Mark

I will make this with 10 onions so I'm planniing to third the ingredients based on your 30/35 onion verison . If you had to make a *swag* at the other ingredients, would you reckon I'd get away with a 500g jar of Passatta and a handful of chopped corriander for this version  ?

PS. Please hurry up, I'm ready to rock here :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 08:27 PM by blade1212 »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 09:54 PM »
I cant wait to see this guy prepare this in person, he said he usually does this at 16:00 unfortunately this takeaway is not in my home town and just happens to be somewhere I visit every Wednesday for the night.

I must confess I am not going to try this, personally I am so close to the BIR meal as to be practically indistinguishable from the real thing that I don't fancy peeling 30 opinions but am happy to bring this info to the group  ;D

The big question to my mind is that of scale, can you really just half all of the ingredients and try this kind of recipe? I don't know, is it just a case of halving all the spices & salt etc or should the spicing be kept the same??

Blade: I have made Pete's 600ml oil base with coriander stalks and I used ~20-30 stalks, I would suggest the same or a whole bunch of tesco/asda coriander that currently costs ~99p. I would also guess 500g passatta is about right, if maybe a bit too much, for 10 onions worth of base sauce in this recipe.

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 11:43 PM »
I was concerned about the celery
i was convinced carrot didin't belong in curries

however this base is outstanding !!

I have a heaving pot of unbelievablely wonderful base. I used 'Laziza' garlic/ginger, Rajah curry powder, and Natco spices for the remainder. I added 1 tin of tomatoes (450g) and a handful of fresh corriander.

Overall I used 1/3 of the original recipe from MarkJ (total of 10 spanish onions).

I've been trying to get here for years - I reckon the new factor for me is the celery. This seems to make a huge difference.

Can't wait to try a final dish

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 06:13 AM »
Cool!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 09:05 AM »
I am also sooo close & I'm getting closer every time !! ;D ;D The Celery i have not used yet but Will,l I'm off to the supermarket today to get a load of onions .
   Question. Is it 30-35 small cooking onions or large Spanish onions hope its the small ones as Ive got a pot that do the job nicely.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
   Anyone doubting the Carrot as an ingredient don't, Curry King`s recipe is the same as the one given to me by my local & we are miles apart, also the peppers & you`ll find this base tastes good on its own & i was also told that you cant copy a resteraunt curry due to the vast amount of ingredients they cant be sad enough to all be telling the same lie .I have great faith in the fact that this web site has 99% of the info we need (time will tell).

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 09:05 AM »
however this base is outstanding !!
Hi Blade,
 ? ? ? ? ? ?Do you reckon it's better and different than the other bases on this site.
And..............................has it got the "taste" ?

Offline joe2

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: To Pete
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 09:40 AM »
>>however this base is outstanding !!>>

Don't forget - this is merely Blades opinion.
Ten years ago I made curries that I thought then were fantastic - just like as good as a restaurant.........

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2005, 10:04 AM »
Darth, I suspect it's the big spanish onions as I can't see the BIRs messing around with the small ones - hopefuly Mark can confirm. I used 10 of these (about the size of an orange) along with 2 big carrots, 2 sticks of celery and 1 Green pepper for this amount. I also added lots of boiling water - covered the veggies and then an additional inch. The consistency of the blended base is spot on - not too thick.

Pete, I haven't actually tried a celery/carrot version yet but this is by far the best base I've made and I've made hundreds in my time. I think it has great potential to have the taste, but I need to wait until I try the finished curry to be sure.

Joe, As you say, this is only my opinion so everyone needs to try for themselves. However I did remove my BIR water wings many years ago and have been reared on Glasgow's finest curries since :)

PS. Not sure if this is really significant, but I also added a couple of tablespoons of Knorr 'Touch of Taste' liquid chicken stock concentrate. I find this added some depth to my previous bases.

Oh, and my kitcken smells like a BIR. I can't help smiling every time I walk past the pot :)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2005, 10:16 AM »
Seems logical, i`ll wait for confirmation from Mark then i`ll cook as big a version as i can in one pot ( 20 large Spanish Onions me thinks !!). ;D ;D ;)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2005, 10:20 AM »
Darth - 30 tennis ball sized ones, medium I guess. They are not spanish but your common bulk onion in the supermarkets I suspect (I dont know for sure but I would be suprised if any BIR uses the red spanish onion in its base simply due to cost). Ive tried bases with normal onions and spanish.

I reckon the chicken stock is now a definate in the base for me, that liquid stock sounds interesting, Ill try it in my next base.

©2024 Curry Recipes