Author Topic: Talked about base sauce with take away owner and chef  (Read 84280 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Talked about base sauce with take away owner and chef
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2020, 10:40 AM »
This base gravy was fine in all regards and I used it to make 3 perfectly acceptable dishes.

However, if the Korma I produced by following the recipe of Ghana is a true indication of a BIR Korma, it truly deserves the derision it receives by some on this forum. It was dreadful.  I've been disappointed in my last few Korma attempts but they were good compared to the outcome of this recipe. Ghastly horrible gloop.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2020, 10:48 AM »
For the benefit of other readers, "Ghana" was originally spelled "Ghanna" on this forum, and the recipe can be found here.
** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2020, 11:10 AM »
However, if the Korma I produced by following the recipe of Ghana is a true indication of a BIR Korma, it truly deserves the derision it receives by some on this forum. It was dreadful.  I've been disappointed in my last few Korma attempts but they were good compared to the outcome of this recipe. Ghastly horrible gloop.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Have you ever tasted chicken korma in Indian restaurants in the UK?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2020, 12:13 PM »
Do you grow Indian bay (Cinnamomum tamala) or European (Laurus nobilis), George ?  I find the flavours very different, and actually dislike European bay while loving Indian ...

I grow European (Laurus nobilis) and it helps improve the flavour of the base sauce for my taste. There's no accounting for anyone else's tastes! I doubt if the Indian tree misnamed 'bay' would grow in an English garden. I recently tried growing curry tree plants and it was a total failure.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2020, 04:18 PM »
George you can get Curry leaf trees from "The Citrus Centre" keep them out of the frost and don't overwater, they are quite a resilient
plant.

Waiting for spring to arrive for new growth

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2020, 05:43 PM »

However, if the Korma I produced by following the recipe of Ghana is a true indication of a BIR Korma, it truly deserves the derision it receives by some on this forum. It was dreadful.  Ghastly horrible gloop.

Yep that sounds like a Korma

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2020, 08:25 PM »
George, I've never been to the UK. The only knowledge of BIR food is what I make following the recipes and methods on this site and other resources.  I've had plenty of different Korma dishes over the years and one in particular was among the best Indian dishes I've ever eaten. I've never been able to get close to making it.

I've seen Korma recipes that are ridiculously complex and include ingredients like rose water and kewra water, gold leaf, etc. Some I've made tasted like eating flower petals and were not good at all.  I have also made some successful Korma that have been tasty and enjoyable.

I'm not prone to harsh criticism but this one was truly dull. The base gravy was fine and as you described quite acceptable on its own. The unspiced combination of this gravy with pre-cooked chicken (roast), evaporated milk, coconut and nuts (almonds and cashews) was just nothing. The remaining portion is going in the bin today.

MA, if you are basing your assessment of Korma on dishes similar to this, I understand your view. A Korma can be a delicious dish. This wasn't.

©2024 Curry Recipes