Author Topic: Talked about base sauce with take away owner and chef  (Read 84506 times)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Talked about base sauce with take away owner and chef
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2005, 01:17 PM »
How much do you use for one curry Darth?

And when do you add it?

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Hiya

Sorry, I don't mean to butt in - but as you're talking about asafoetida and fenugreek, which I use in my curries - I use between a quarter and a half level teaspoon of asafoetida and about a quarter of a level teaspoon ground fenugreek leaves, for one curry.  The asafoetida is added as soon as the base sauce comes to the boil, and it really does mellow during cooking.  The fenugreek I add about four minutes before serving, when the sauce is at a simmer.  Personally, I won't go near ground fenugreek seeds anymore, as I poisoned too many curries in the early days with the stuff! :D

Hope this helps.

Ian
--

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2005, 02:18 PM »
You are more than welcome to butt in! Cheers Ian, on that note I might give the ground fenugreek a miss tonight  ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2005, 03:32 PM »
I agree quarter a teaspoon per portion, i put it in with all the other spices & as i indicated before use one at a time & find out which you prefer as they are quite powerfull spices & can really bugger ones curry :( :( :( :(,
 Ian Ive also done this in the past & butt in whenever you wish, the more the merrier ;D ;D ;D

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2005, 07:43 PM »
I made another with this base that was much better that the one last night which didn't have garamasala.

2 tsp restaurant masala
1/2 tsp garamasala
lots of chopped chillies
2 tsp chillil powder
2 tbl ketchup
1 tbl methi
1 tbl chopped corriander

in total about 5 ladels of base.

I  broke my coffee grinder yesterday after I made the masala, so I can't experiment with the ground cloves idea yet. What about ground fennel seeds, has anyone tried that ?

PS. Someone posted in another thread about using too much fresh corriander. I cut down the amount and I reckon it makes a positive difference.

Another small step towards Nirvana.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2005, 10:38 PM »
Have you noticed we are all using less spices which if you think about it is cheaper,quicker & easier & that would be of great benefit if we were a Take-away would it not, & that most of us are much happier with our curries as they are now closer to a take-away curry than say 6 months ago .
Which leads to a good question for everyone on this forum.
 Would you all agree that we are all making much better curries than 6 months ago, i most certainly am !! Better flavor & closer to my local Take-away.Anyone else ??  :)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2005, 06:53 PM »
I think we couldnt help but all be making better curries than 6 months ago with all the ideas bouncing around this forum  ;D

On another note I cooked a 1 portion curry last night with half a teaspoon of asafoetida and used my other fenugreek leaves that looked like the ones in my local.

I think the asa. definately added something and I will be using it again, I dont think the change of fenugreek leaves made much of a difference though. Bloody nice curry I must say  ;D

Offline joe2

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2005, 09:24 PM »
I'm now using only a smaller amount of spices and there is a definite improvement.

I'm very pleased with the improvement I've made since the forum started, but I don't use anybody's base im particular, but a little bit from different recipes, although it's closest to Bruce Edwards's, - minus the dreaded aijwan seeds of course.

If mine never gets any better, I will still always be happy with what I've now got.

blade1212
Re:earlier post - apologies, I thought you were a newbie(telling us your curry was outstanding) - (A'hv hud a good few roobies in Gibson Street, masel)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2005, 07:47 AM »
Asafoetida. Just made a 4 Curry batch with Asafoetida & it gives a very savoury flavor much like my local BIR.
Although i do use it anyway, it deffinately worth a try folks !! ;) ;) ;)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2005, 08:06 AM »
unique unmistakable curry house curry smell
The curry gravy sits in a pot on the stove.
I have never seen it with a lid on.
All the other cooking goes on around it.
Maybe it absorbs the general cooking smell.
I was told, when a chef comes in, to the restauarnt.
First thing he does is turn on tne tandoor.
Next he heats up enough curry gravy, for the evening, and adds the chicken stock (it doesn't go in til then)
He prepares some dhalls (including frying garlic til brown)
He starts the next day's curry gravy.
He prepares the kebabs (on skewers) and tandoori chicken.
He cooks the poppadoms.
If you were doing this at home, it would cause quite a pungent smell.
Maybe that's it

« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 08:12 AM by pete »

©2024 Curry Recipes