Author Topic: Talked about base sauce with take away owner and chef  (Read 84509 times)

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Talked about base sauce with take away owner and chef
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2005, 07:17 PM »
Mark, I meant to also say, how much corriander is a bunch ? if you were to hold the stems together, what diameter of a circle would this make for a 30 onion version ?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2005, 09:38 PM »
To show me how much coriander he held up his hand with fore finger to thumb in a circle about the size of a 10p piece, what that means is anyones guess!

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2005, 09:42 PM »
It makes perfect sense to me............. I think I need to go out more

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2005, 09:48 PM »
Lol!

I suppose thats his hand around the stalks so my guess is the 99p tesco open bunch of coriander, not the ~60p tesco bunch in a plastic case

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2005, 10:52 PM »
Like the idea of many different batches , but i think I'm that close it wont matter as now my Curries are ace !! & i know everyone else makes grand Curries because of this site & that we are all bloody marvelous people aren't we !!!
So its a 30(i already do 15 onion batches !!).
Like the boiling idea thanks.
I had another curry for work today, thats 4 plus one tomorrow & shall i have a Indian this weekend mmm oh alright ( & ill order the Vegetarian dish to see if it does have those little Chicken bits in & moan & find out what they are  ;) ;) ).

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2005, 10:55 PM »
It makes perfect sense to me............. I think I need to go out more

Don't do it blade. It'll start innocently enough, you'll casually sneak a peek at menus in the windows of indian restaurants for clues to vital ingredients, but this won't be enough to satisfy your craving, oh no. Within a few days you'll be skipping work to make sure you can be outside the curry house when the spice delivery man calls so you can furtively scan his wares. Then, all too soon, you'll be skulking at the back of self same restaurants till the wee small hours hoping to glimpse a cooking technique as Ahmed comes out to dispose of the old oil. Eventually you'll be found half in and half out of an indian restaurant waste bin gibbering about little white bits and chicken stock inbetween nibbling the contents! Noooo, stay in it's safer.

Hmm, perhaps I should go out more? :D? ?Gibber :P twitch ;)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2005, 11:02 PM »
You`ve been watching me haven't you !! , cluck cluck gibber gibber my old mans a Mushroom etc etc.. :P ??? :P ??? :o

Offline blade1212

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2005, 11:50 PM »
blade1212
Re:earlier post - apologies, I thought you were a newbie(telling us your curry was outstanding) - (A'hv hud a good few roobies in Gibson Street, masel)

Thanks Joe, I've still got everything to learn, but the Glasgow curry shops are among the best I've tried so they are my baseline .....

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2005, 10:13 AM »
Hi George,

since making the scaled down version of the Mark J 30 onion base, have you produced any finished dishes using it? If so, were they any good? And if they were would you post them on this forum if you haven't already done so.

Cheers,

Blondie

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2005, 11:03 AM »
Blondie

For two days I've been meaning to use my base sauce to make a BIR chicken korma.  Hopefully, I will get around to it today, and trust the base sauce may have improved (if anything) in the fridge, rather than gone downhill. If the base sauce has deteriorated, I will simply make another batch of base sauce. That recipe is so easy and straightforward because cooking time is short and nothing is likely to burn, so you don't need to stand over it all the time.

I even got as far as mixing creamed coconut into evaporated milk as suggested by Ghanna. Incidentally, where has Ghanna got to? Much missed. Anyway, creamed coconut will be in my first attempt at BIR chicken korma. I suspect that restaurants are more likely to use coconut flour so I'll try that next time. On the other hand, I'm not intersted in any old BIR chicken korma - I'd like to make it as good as the best I've had. Perhaps that means using coconut cream (more expensive) rather than coconut flour. I even read that some restaurants don't put coconut in chicken korma at all - only in CTM.

None of my comments relate to authentic Indian chicken kormas, only to BIR chicken kormas.

Regards
George

Update 29 May: I made my first recent attempt at a BIR chicken korma last night, with minimal spicing as suggested by Ghanna. It wasn't bad for a first attempt and was certainly 'in the frame' for a BIR chicken korma. But I feel the lack of additional spices made it the type which I am not so keen on, but which you do find at some BIR's. So I will experiment further, and when I have a recipe I am pleased with, I will report back.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 03:45 PM by George »

©2024 Curry Recipes