Author Topic: Kashmiri Mirch v Deghee Mirch  (Read 60707 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Kashmiri Mirch v Deghee Mirch
« on: July 01, 2008, 10:23 PM »
I have both the MDH Kashmiri Mirch and Deghee Mirch.

Side by side there is very little difference in colour although in day light, the Kashmiri is noticably redder than Deghee.

The Kashmiri has a more pungent taste (like paprika) than the Deghee which is both sweeter, smoother and hotter.

My next Madras (SnS's) will be using both of these.

SnS

Photo below left = kashmiri, right = deghee (deggi)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kashmiri Mirch v Deghee Mirch
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:52 PM »
The scientist in me is saying that your next one of these should be using on the Deghee!

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:11 PM »
The scientist in me is saying that your next one of these should be using on the Deghee!

... and look what happened to Professor Klump!  :o

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:05 AM »
i am sold on the need for both.

i am thinking either green chilli or deggi in a base. the deggi is good for me as u say   
Deghee which is both sweeter, smoother and hotter

there is clear advantage over the std chilli powder for me in that the deggie is so much milder - i can taste the powder out of the packet - which i can't for normal chilli powder.

the kashi i hope is going to work on a similar basis to smoked parika (La Chinata) - i could not believe the difference between it and std paprika - it's not a replacement but used wisely gives a step difference - i expect this to be the same for the kashi (going to have to order www).

I just can?t decide if the kashi would be best in base or spice mix or even both.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:15 AM »
I'd like it if a final determination was made on deggi or kashmiri in the base or spice mix is made. I have both to hand..... and to be honest I can't tell a difference in the final curry.

Relying on the capsicum-tuned tastebuds of the members!

... Especially since more than a few swear on one or the other.

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 08:20 AM »
i've found a further use for the deggi - adding the red colour to the edges of tikka.

i've always thought BIR's must coat the chicken in chilli powder before marinating and whilst ok for me in terms of hotness not shared by the family - the deggi adds the colour with gentle heat - spot on.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 12:06 PM »
i've found a further use for the deggi - adding the red colour to the edges of tikka.

i've always thought BIR's must coat the chicken in chilli powder before marinating and whilst ok for me in terms of hotness not shared by the family - the deggi adds the colour with gentle heat - spot on.

From the MDH Kashmiri Mirch box

Exotic Kashmiri Mirch is a special blend of medium hot quality Red Pepper that is used for Tandoori (Clay oven) preparations. When used in curry it imparts bright red colour making food more appealing and palatable. It is added to marinade for marinating and to frying onions along with chopped tomatoes while preparing curries.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:26 AM »
SnS,

wow - i do like the kashi description - sounds as if it's even more ideal than the deggi at the marinating.

will definitely have to try and get some this weekend.

Offline Curryswede

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 10:32 PM »
I tried to get Kashmiri at my local shop, they only had deggi, but the guy actually told me that kashmiri chili is the same thing as paprika, which just has to be bollocks. Paprika is made from bell peppers afaik, where as kashmiri chili is a type of chili. Can you guys that have the kashmiri do a taste comparison to paprika please?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 11:01 PM »
Can you guys that have the kashmiri do a taste comparison to paprika please?

Will do it right now as I speak... 2 mins...

Surprisingly they actually taste fairly similar, other than the fact that paprika isn't hot atall and the Kashmiri is still leaving my mouth tingling! If I mixed paprika and chilli I doubt I could tell the difference beteen that and Kashmiri Mirch.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:22 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

©2024 Curry Recipes