Author Topic: Kashmiri Mirch v Deghee Mirch  (Read 60708 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kashmiri Mirch v Deghee Mirch
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 01:01 PM »
I tried to get Kashmiri at my local shop, they only had deggi, but the guy actually told me that kashmiri chili is the same thing as paprika, which just has to be bollocks. Paprika is made from bell peppers afaik, where as kashmiri chili is a type of chili. Can you guys that have the kashmiri do a taste comparison to paprika please?

Hi Curryswede

Paprika is not made from Bell Peppers. The Kashmiri Chile is in fact often called Indian Paprika as the chiles used are similar to that used in Spanish and Hungarian Paprika. The Kashmiri Chile has however a far redder colour. The guy in your shop is correct.

SnS  ;)

ps: Notice my logo and number of posts todate - satanic or what?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 01:11 PM »

Hahaha, never post again SnS!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 01:15 PM »
I tried to get Kashmiri at my local shop, they only had deggi, but the guy actually told me that kashmiri chili is the same thing as paprika, which just has to be bollocks. Paprika is made from bell peppers afaik, where as kashmiri chili is a type of chili. Can you guys that have the kashmiri do a taste comparison to paprika please?

Hi Curryswede

Paprika is not made from Bell Peppers. The Kashmiri Chile is in fact often called Indian Paprika as the chiles used are similar to that used in Spanish and Hungarian Paprika. The Kashmiri Chile has however a far redder colour. The guy in your shop is correct.

SnS  ;)

Noted 666  :o

Paprika is not made from Bell Peppers.

are you sure?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika

I always thought Paprika is dryed ground bell peppers (capsicum) ?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Hi UB

What I meant was that Paprika is not made from only bell peppers. It is usually a blend of different varieties (eg: Pimento Chile). But Kashmiri Mirch is very similar to Paprika albeit somewhat hotter. Likewise, commercial Chile powders are also a blend of different varieties.

SnS  ;)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 01:33 PM »
Oh i see... i am now a big fan of the Kashmiri mirch - love the taste and colour it gives to any curry.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Kashmiri Mirch is very similar to Paprika albeit somewhat hotter. Likewise, commercial Chile powders are also a blend of different varieties.

Well that would explain my taste test results! Wouldn't it be fairly similar just to add paprika and chilli? I mean paprika is as red as Kashmiri and chilli is pretty red too...

©2024 Curry Recipes