Author Topic: Dry grains of rice  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Dry grains of rice
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:30 PM »
How do BIRs make their rice grains so much more dry than the rice I make at home. I've thought about popping it in the oven but surely they just have a big rice cooker thing keeping it warm?

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dry grains of rice
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Hi Bobby,  I was lucky enough to get a quick demo at a real BIR the other day and was suprised to see they are microwaving the rice which is pre cooked, and stored in the fridge. This obviously saves valuable time at the 6pm to 8pm slot, when they are pre occupied with making fresh nan bread and cooking the actual curries for there busy takeway service. I expect the microwave dries it slightly. I am going to write up what i observed inside the kitchen , but to be honest, its nothing thats not on this site. Whats been really bothering me, is that i copied everything to the tee, when i got home, and my madras tasted bland. I am beginning to think my electric cooker is to blame, as i witnessed the chef allowing the oil + curry base to ignite with high temp gas cooking, which might be giving things that lovely toffee taste we all crave. I think the best place for my electric cooker is the tip! 

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Hi Derek
Rice- I seem to struggle with this, however the best results by far for me are when I batch cook and then freeze.
The rice when defrosted separates nicely and hey presto is not sticky.
Bit of a copout but it works.
Matt

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:37 PM »
I always pop mine in a really low oven around 75 c covered with foil with a couple of steam vents for as long as possible,anything up to a couple of hours and it comes out really nice and separate, using a really good Basmati helps too,i used some cheap stuff from asda a while ago and it was crap.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:31 AM »
Bobby - make the Bruce Edwards Pilau (the original, not the updated). Just try it. Dead easy.

The trick is the frying to remove the starch, and the oven bake/absorption. Dry, elongated, separated grains every time.

-- Josh

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 12:35 AM »
Bobby - make the Bruce Edwards Pilau (the original, not the updated). Just try it. Dead easy.

The trick is the frying to remove the starch, and the oven bake/absorption. Dry, elongated, separated grains every time.

-- Josh

Cheers Josh, that's next on the list mate!

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 02:18 PM »
I was given a tip a few years ago and have done it this way ever since.

Get an electric steaner with a rice bowl. Fill steamer with water. Put the rice in the bowl, add the same amount of water. About 20 mins - hey presto! dry and separated rice!

Its easy to make up individual portions to freeze as well, then microwave when you want.

I'm sure everyone knows..but..when cooling rice to store or freeze, cool it quickly (within an hour) otherwise bacteria spores (Bacillus cereus)not killed when cooking can germinate and cause big problems!!!

Used to own a restaurant - didn't want to kill anyone so you learn these things ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes