Author Topic: msg wots this????  (Read 2425 times)

Offline downeykaz

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
msg wots this????
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:25 PM »
 ::)This is probably something quite obvious but it ain't to me so Id appreciate some help with this thanks. Also can someone tell me how you get the consistency of BIR curries, all the photo's Iv seen seem to be lacking that bitty consistency if you know what I mean.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: msg wots this????
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:23 PM »
i've not used msg. i've not even been able to find it in the shops (albeit i've not looked that hard - i asked in sainsbury's and decided not to ask again).

i think it originated in Chinese cooking - it gives u that real thirst after a meal when even after gallons of water u still feel thirsty.

i believe it's a thickening agent along with a "salt" seasoning.

it's short for mono sodium glutamate i think.

i'm not exactly sure what u mean in terms of "bitty consistency" - i feel the BIR consistency comes from a period of simmering the dish after the initial frying of the spices - this evaporates off the excess water and make the sauce more condensed and better tasting - 5 mins simmer or more is needed.

for bittyness i guess finely chopped garlic and or onion but if u mean texture then this comes from the amount of bulk veg mainly onion in the base gravy or sauce.

hope this starts to explain it a little.

Offline Mag1973

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 02:59 AM »
Its a flavour enhancer widely used by Chinese Takeaways, I bought some a while back as most Chinese recipes listedit as an ingredient, it eventually got thrown out due to the fact that it is regarded as unhealthy by a lot of people and I cut down on salt (which it is)as much as possible.

I almost bought some more because a Chinese curry recipe I had been working had it as an ingredient  but after seeing the BBC2 Chinese cookery program where they basically rubbished its use as unnecessary I decided not to.

I've never heard of an Indian recipe that uses it.

Offline tonymexico

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:48 PM »
 Mono sodium glutamate, or E621 as it is sometimes listed on food labels, is best avoided. Even though it is regarded as safe in small doses(up to 3 grams considered safe) it can have some rather unpleasant side effects including Headache, nausea, vomiting and even breathing difficulties. As such it is best given a large body swerve and should never be included in a dish if the person it is served to has any history of asthma.

©2024 Curry Recipes