Author Topic: Bruce Edwards Curry Sauce & Basic Curry - From The Man Himself  (Read 88523 times)

Offline hema.eshwar

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Edwards Curry Sauce & Basic Curry - From The Man Himself
« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2009, 03:33 AM »
Can you give the recipe for Curry Powder or the brand that you recommend?

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2009, 03:44 AM »
The Bruce Edwards spice mix recipe is:

8 parts coriander powder
7 parts tumeric powder
5 parts cumin powder
4 parts curry powder
4 parts paprika (optional)

If its the curry power component of the mix you are asking about, most just use a commercial product. Rajah Gold, TRS and East End seem to be popular. The Rajah seems to be the most recommended.

-- Josh

Offline nai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2010, 12:52 PM »
The spice mixture: 8, 7, 5, 4, 4 parts of what? How is he measuring these?
I'm confused...and probably quite dumb!  :-\

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Hi Nai

The quantity isn't important only the ratio. You could use cups if you were making a big batch, or tsps if you ony want a small batch. It doesnt matter either way. Once you have mixed together your spice mix you use the required amount as per the recipe.

Hope this helps.

Offline nai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2010, 01:07 PM »
Thanks Chriswg. I was confused because total spice mix using teaspoons was 24, and the required 4.5 tbls is only 13.5 teas. But like you said, as long as it's 4.5 level tbls that goes into the base, should be fine. Thanks again.  :D

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2010, 05:06 PM »
If you have measuring spoons:-

2 lev tps corriander
1 3/4 lev tps turmeric
1 1/4 lev tps cumin
1 lev tps paprika
1 lev tps 'curry'powder

'simples'!

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2010, 02:49 PM »
Just made my standard madras using this base and spice mix. The curry is very nice, looks the business and I'm happy to say that the ajowan isn't as strong in the final dish as I had expected...though as I sit here five minutes after tasting I can still taste the ajwain round the sides and back of my tongue - it's not unpleasant, just different. Very nice curry, but it doesn't beat the same recipe and spice mix when used with Razor's base..Razor's base delivers deeper flavour and a nice hint of that old fashioned taste IMO.

I'll have to make more dishes with it - only used it for SL's chasni in which I didn't taste or rather aftertaste the ajowan like I can with the madras ???....Perhaps the flavour has developed more through the base whilst it's been sitting...

All in all it's nice, but I've had better :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2010, 06:56 PM »
I've never used the lovage in the recipe as it is optional and I felt OK about leaving it out as it is a bit unusual. Have you made the BE base without lovage Domi, and if so how did you find it?

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Hi Stephen ;)

Never made the base before at all but I've used the lovage before so I only added a scant 1/4 tsp. I don't know if I'd make it again without the lovage because.....well I don't know how to explain it really, the base is tasty yet somehow a bit bland in comparison to final dishes using Razor's. Bland is too strong a word and a bit negative which isn't my intention...it just lacks something for me and I think the lovage gets in the way of knowing what that is exactly ???

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2010, 05:48 PM »
I tried this base a few months back but I found that it smelt and tasted very strong on spices and heat (chilli) and never achieved as good a result with the finished curries as some of the other bases on this site, though I have to admit I prefer medium to mild curries rather than vindaloo or phall's, it's interesting that everytime someone tastes a genuine bir base on this site they mention how sweet and mild it taste's, maybe I should have watered it down more.

©2024 Curry Recipes