Author Topic: Bruce Edwards Curry Sauce & Basic Curry - From The Man Himself  (Read 88529 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Edwards Curry Sauce & Basic Curry - From The Man Himself
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 10:45 AM »
UB,

just a quick check if i could on the "Ajowan" - i only have "Ajwain" despite repeated attempts to find "Ajowan". the ajwain description from the NATCO pack is "seeds have a strong pungent flavour similar to thyme".

i use the ajwain in the ifindforu base and like it a lot so was very please to see it in BE's.

in tasting the base i don't feel there is enough in it - would increase in future to 1 tsp c/w 1/4tsp spec (i noted BE's comment of having reduced it from the past) -

the question is - does the ajwain come through in the final dish - as just a little hint of something

I couldn't tell you Jerry because Bruce said there optional and didn't have any, i will put some in next time just to see what the difference is.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 10:58 AM »
UB,

no probs - i will just have to hang on until i cook - don't think i'm going to be able to last the 3 days.

i do not put ajwain in every time i make a base - i does produce a very nice but different sort of "little hint of something but your not sure what it is" - it's usually down to what i'm feeling like at the time - probably 1 in 4 bases or 1 per month

unlike the ifindforu base I could not detect the ajwain in the blended base but I don?t know yet if this is down to the extra spice masking it until cooking time when I expect it to come through as that ?hint?

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 11:08 AM »
UB,

no probs - i will just have to hang on until i cook - don't think i'm going to be able to last the 3 days.

i do not put ajwain in every time i make a base - i does produce a very nice but different sort of "little hint of something but your not sure what it is" - it's usually down to what i'm feeling like at the time - probably 1 in 4 bases or 1 per month

unlike the ifindforu base I could not detect the ajwain in the blended base but I don?t know yet if this is down to the extra spice masking it until cooking time when I expect it to come through as that ?hint?

i will use it next time and we'll compare notes  ;D gonna take me about 2 weeks to get though this base so its play time!!  :D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 11:39 AM »
I cannot believe the 'Sucker' response. How fantastic. Thanks VERY much. How I love you.  You DIP STICKS. Get a life.

How you are all so easily impressed by a name - pathetic. This info was already here - nothing new.

SnS (x)

I'm inclined to agree that there is nothing new here. This base is almost identical to the curryhouse cookery one. The curry recipe and cooking technique are pretty standard on this forum aswell. I really appreciate Bruce's input but reading the recipe just doesn't have me reaching for the stock pan if you know what I mean. I'm sure this base will more than meet the threshold, but I'm also sure it will taste pretty similar to the rest of the bases I use on a regular basis.

It's personal preference. This is the base Bruce Edwards makes and prefers. Take UB or SnS for examples. Both good curry chefs both of whom have their base preferences listed on this site. I have tried both and enjoy both. Both are pretty similar and will create a very good curry. I add a bit of this and that when I'm making a base. I don't even follow an exact recipe. Even so, my base will taste similar to theirs, which will taste similar to Bruces. The subtle differences in a base don't make or break a curry.

What Bruce is correct about though is that mastering the technique is the key.For those members who are yet to create a great curry - this recipe will not answer your prayers. For those members who almost always create great curries, this recipe will probably create a great curry... I just really doubt it's worth shouting about.

However as they say, the proof is in the eating so I'll give this one a shot for arguments sake but I don't intend to clear room in my freezer just yet!

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 12:24 PM »

Hi Matt
       This "adding spices close to the end of cooking the base" idea is something I recently have come across
A takeaway near me does the same
They boil everything until cooked, add the spices, bring back to the boil, then blend
[/quote]

Thanks for that Haldi,  I haven't tried this technique yet but I will certainly give it a try when I make my next base.
I also like your previous comments about mixing recipes with different bases, I'm guessing but i would say that any curry made with the BE base needs to have minimal spicing due to amount in the base.
Matt

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Really Happy with this recipe, this is for me the best ruby that has left my kitchen.
To the main just for personal taste i added Dsp chili, lemon juice and garlic puree. Cracking! looking forward to using the rest of the base.
Hi UB
The picture top left looks amazing!
How did you cook the chicken?
Was it precooked?
Also adding lemon juice and garlic puree must have given the taste a real boost.
So I guess you felt it lacked a little something too?
Mine tasted good but very similar to the base
I mean the base is good, but I don't want the finished curry tasting like it

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 06:58 PM »
On the versatility question, I just made George's Korma (thanks BB for the pointer!) with this base. The results were perfect. Mind you, this Korma recipe calls for no additional spicing to what's already in the base.

So I'm sold on using this Base in the milder dishes as well. Will try a CTM later this week.

Another point about this base is the aroma. I made the base and a Madras with it yesterday, and the house still smells like a BIR, probably better than any other base/curry combo I've tried. In terms of aroma, the Darth Phall was the closest I've got in the past.

Wife's gone for the weekend, so she'll have a nice welcome home  ;D

-- Josh

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2008, 07:00 PM »
Really Happy with this recipe, this is for me the best ruby that has left my kitchen.
To the main just for personal taste i added Dsp chili, lemon juice and garlic puree. Cracking! looking forward to using the rest of the base.
Hi UB
The picture top left looks amazing!
How did you cook the chicken?
Was it precooked?

yes mate i always precook chicken

Also adding lemon juice and garlic puree must have given the taste a real boost.
So I guess you felt it lacked a little something too?

personal taste thats all, I just Cant help to tinker.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:40 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 07:33 AM »
I'm sure this base will more than meet the threshold, but I'm also sure it will taste pretty similar to the rest of the bases I use on a regular basis.

Bobby's gut feeling is spot on. i make rajver, saffron and ifindforu on a regular basis producing those 95% BIR curries. i am convinced at this stage from tasting the base (i have no side by side to compare) that it is no better or worse than my fav bases.

i do think the oil/onion/water ratio to be spot on - the higher proportion of onion and optimum volume of oil being key to BIR texture/taste. i do like the "low" simmer approach to the cooking c/w "fast" simmer but only cooking the curry will tell if it delivers superior results. the "late on" addition of the spices c/w adding at the start is different as matt/haldi have picked up on. i can't detect a difference in taste in the base but only cooking will prove.

in terms of cooking method it is different to the "toffee" smell (parker21's approach) method that i use on a normal basis and which works well for me having practised the technique (takes about 3 mths to perfect). i remain hopeful this slower "simmer" as opposed to "hot" frying approach will deliver the last 5%. but again this site does have the "slower" method which i've tried before and found easier but no different in outcome to the hot approach. i remain 50/50 on achieving the last 5% at this stage.

Offline Roti

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 11:04 AM »
I'm probably missing something, but please could someone clarify:

- which curry powder is used in the spice mix?

- how much sauce is added to the curry?  Bruce mentions adding "a ladle of sauce" (a ladle being 7 fluid ounces?) and later mentions adding "the rest of the sauce along with the main ingredients"

- when is the salt and dried fenugreek added?

What did those that have already made it do?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:22 AM by Roti »

©2024 Curry Recipes