Author Topic: Bruce Edwards Curry Sauce & Basic Curry - From The Man Himself  (Read 88663 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Edwards Curry Sauce & Basic Curry - From The Man Himself
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2008, 10:02 AM »
I agree its a strong base, but this seems to be compensated for in the curry recipe.

I'm following the recipe too Josh. It is really good but just has too much of a bite for me.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2008, 11:55 AM »
Yeah i think the oil makes all the difference,seems to keep the air from getting at it,I've had a jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks now and its still fine.

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2008, 04:51 PM »
Just a thought but in the BE post part shown below, he refers to reducing the spicing if using pre cooked ingredients. As most of us presumably use pre-cooked chicken does this mean the base spice quantity needs to be reduced.
Matt

This sauce replaces the one described in the second series of Curry House Cookery. As it is quite well flavoured, it works well with plain cooked meat or chicken. It will produce a perfectly acceptable curry with supermarket bought cooked chicken. If, however, you want to seriously reduce the spicing, then consider pre-cooking the main ingredient with some whole spices.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2008, 06:16 PM »
matt,

i did not find the base to have too much spice in it and thought it was spot on. the saffron that i make regularly actually has more spice in it. it has almost 5 times more spice than KD so it may be down to personal preference.

surprisingly where i did have problems with the BE spec was with the madras - i had to up the spice mix (1/2 tsp spec c/w with 2 tsp i use myself in a 200ml portion finished curry)

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2008, 06:50 PM »
Certainly agree about the spice for the meal I tend to use between 10-15 ml in a main meal.
Oh Well just an idea.
Matt

Offline currytester

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49 AM »
An interesting point I discovered from the recipe notes was the cooking out of the chilli powder. Yesterday I made the BE Madras and tried my Extra Hot Chilli Powder out - cooked it out as described the Madras was OK (never been a favourite curry) but I got less heat from the chilli powder and havent had the flaming Ar###### effect afterwards. So I have definitely learned something of use not just in BIR cooking but for all aspects - Thanks a very good tip

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2008, 07:28 AM »
Currytester,

by luck i have always added chilli to the spice mix and as a result fried it as BE suggests - the only problem i find is u can't stop coughing if u don't open the back door.

am sure we will get u sold on madras eventually

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2008, 09:58 PM »
Tonight's chicken madras made from the Bruce Edwards Curry Sauce....superb

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Looks just like when I make it. I know how good that dish is.....

Offline rdlbooth

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Hi, I have read with interest all the posts about this curry base and thought I'd give it a go for my first attempt at a base, one question though and probably a stupid one..........but the spice mixture is listed as "SPICE MIXTURE. Coriander / Turmeric / Cumin / Curry Powder 8:7:5:4 parts by volume." what does this mean and what quantities do the relate to?

Thanks

Les

©2024 Curry Recipes