Author Topic: Bruce Edwards Curry Sauce & Basic Curry - From The Man Himself  (Read 88481 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Edwards Curry Sauce & Basic Curry - From The Man Himself
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2008, 07:05 AM »
Only thing i found was the oil didnt really seperate when i cooked the main dish, what did i do wrong to not make this happen, just not cook it for long enough, or not enough heat maybe?

the amount of oil rising varies a lot i find. this base is for me spot on for the amount of oil in the actual base. it therefore is sort of 'tight' on oil overall and u may depending on preference need to put more oil in at frying stage - 4 tbsp per 200ml finished portion should do it. i'm not that keen on too much oil so used 2 tbsp and had very little floating oil - but spot on curry.

Offline kid curry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Ive found that the longer you simmer after blending the more the oil will seperate!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2008, 10:02 AM »
Quote from: BE
First of all an apology ; the curry recipe that I gave you last time didn't say how much base sauce to use. It should have specified 10 fl. oz., so if you use a 7 oz. ladle, then one ladleful followed by the rest when part done

Bruce clarified how much curry base he meant to specify in another thread.  Please could someone update his recipe accordingly?

Thanks

Offline ravon

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2008, 06:20 PM »
made my first base today, and i was quite suprised by how mild it was. i followed the instructions to the letter as well... I then made the curry at the bottom of the page on page 1. this was really nice but didnt taste overly spicy, im guessing i will just have to experiment with the spicing.. Any tips would be great

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2008, 07:45 PM »
made my first base today, and i was quite suprised by how mild it was.... I then made the curry at the bottom of the page on page 1. this was really nice but didnt taste overly spicy, im guessing i will just have to experiment with the spicing.. Any tips would be great

Hi ravon. Like you I'm new here too and did the BE base last week and I thought it was quite spicy. Just wondering if you roast and ground the coriander and cumin for the spice mix or if you used the ready ground stuff, the difference is night and day and well worth the effort. Also I used Rajah Hot Madras curry powder that might make a difference.
Regards 
Curry On.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2008, 08:01 PM »
I wonder if in fact Ravon got it right.

A base should not be overly spicy and definitely not hot. The spicing really comes in when the finished dish is made. Ravon - in the Madras did you use Extra Hot Chilli Powder, or standard? This may be the difference here.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2008, 10:45 PM »
I think there is a big differnece using extra hot chilie in the final curry, I use Rajah.

I've tried several 'makes' of curry powder in the spice mix, and as far as Rajah go, I've tried both the mild madras and the hot madras.  I use the mild for two reasons:  firstly any heat I need comes from additional chilie powder, and secondly I find the hot madras tasted slightly too strongly of bay leaf.  The latter effect may be cumulative however, because by base has 3 or 4 bay leaves in it (removed before blending), although that's not much because I make the base in 5.5 ltr batches!

Offline ravon

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2008, 10:28 AM »
for the spices i used a selection of ground spices exept for teh corriander which was fresh, i got all my spices from a local indian supermarket.. Dont get me wrong teh base was really nice you could pick out all the different ingrediants when tasting so was very balanced. I think there may have been two problems, firstly i dints leave the base to cool over night and then blend, i let it cool for a few hours and blended, then made the curry.. The second was that i didnt use chilli poweder i decided to use fresh chillies, which i think i got the quantities wrong..

Im guessing but the more you let it stand the better the flavour will be

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2009, 09:07 AM »
For the health conscious among us, try using Lo Salt rather than normal salt. It contains 66% less sodium than regular salts but still gives the same flavour, so you can still add the same amount as in the recipes, but without the effects that regular salt gives  :)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Just made the Bruce base and final curry today, my first time in making a curry from scratch in over a year, since the birth of my daughter hasnt given me the time needed.I have to say, as did friends and family, this produced an excellent result!. It may well be the best curry ive ever made, thoroughly enjoyed by all. It had the restaurant taste, smell and consistency/texture. I made the curry in advance and left it in the oven on about 140C and when it was ready to be served i added some lemon juice and the coriander, it was well worth all the hard work throughout the day. My friend even pinched some of the base and the bruce recipe that i printed and is making a curry for his girlfriend tonight, and said he will definately be makin his own base. Thankyou so much Mr Edwards i salute you.

I was wondering what other final curry's i can make using this base, as i have some left for tonight, i feel that certain bases only work with certain final curry's so dont know which one to try? I like them hot :P :P :P

Any ideas would be most appreciated

©2024 Curry Recipes