Author Topic: The perfect Chicken Korma?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline mattjwood

• Chef
    • View Profile
The perfect Chicken Korma?
« on: July 23, 2008, 06:23 PM »
Hi guys,

I am new to this site, and i have to say its brilliant! I cooked a Balti from the Curryhouse cookbook not long ago which i though was loveley, but the ones on here sound and look brilliant!!

I also have tried to do a Chicken Korma, but it turned out tasting rank!  :-X

So, could anybody give me an idea on what a decent base sauce to use when trying to replicate a BIR Chicken Korma?

Also, could you give me advice on the best things to add to the base sauce to again, replicate a BIR chicken Korma?

Im due to do it over the weekend, so i swift responce would be appreciated!!! I will take pics too!

Thanks!  :)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect Chicken Korma?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum Matt, if you look under korma in the main recipe section there is one that is highly rated.

Offline mattjwood

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Oh right, well i have looked at some, but could you tell me if its this one?

The base

10 onion base version

vegetable oil to cover large pan upto a height of 3/4 inch
3 tbl Garlic & Ginger paste (I used Laziza brand from an Asian grocer).Use 1.5 tbl if you have separate pastes.
1 tbl curry powder (I used Rajah)
1 tbl Turmeric
1 lvl tsp Chilli powder
10 tennis ball sized onions, chopped
2 celery stick chopped
1 green pepper chopped
2 large carrots chopped
1 tsp Salt
1.5 lvl tsp Garamasala (Natco is very nice)
1 tin tomatoes (450g) - or pasatta
handful of fresh coriander ripped or chopped
2 tbl Knorr 'Touch of Taste' liquid chicken stock concentrate
water

1) Heat oil until hot add the garlic and ginger and fry until brown, keep stirring
2) Add curry powder, turmeric and chilli powder and stir fry. Add some cold water (few tablespoons) when it starts to stick to the bottom of the pan. This frees it up instantly
3) Add the onions, carrots, green peppers and celery
4) add salt and garamasala and mix around
5) add tomatoes then add boiling water to cover the vegetables by an inch
6) once up to the boil, add liquid chicken stock and simmer on lowish flame for 1 hour
7) Liquidise - easiest way is to use a hand blender straight into the pot
 Boil hard for 10 mins - the top of the sauce rolls just like the base you may have seen in BIRs
9) cook on low for another 5 mins, leave overnight.

all measures are rounded spoons unless it says lvl

And then for the Korma:

After around 20 years of trying (about 10 times over that period) I have finally succeeded in producing a chicken korma which is as identical as I can tell, to many chicken kormas I have had in BIRs. I owe great thanks to at least three people: (a) Jedi Spice Man and anyone else behind setting up this brilliant forum. Without it, I would probably never have heard from (b) Ghanna who provided an invaluable input of key ingredients such as evaporated milk, and (c) MarkJ who obtained the first class recipe I used for my base sauce. The recipes from Ghanna and MarkJ are already documented here. All I did was bring them together.

The successful attempt followed Ghanna's tip of not adding any spices, apart from those already in the base sauce. I may try adding some spices later, like some restaurants almost certainly do. After all, not all their chicken kormas are indentical, from place to place. But they all have a familiar taste, which is already present in my first attempt.

Regards
George

And here is the recipe (added by CA on behalf of George):

Here's a reprint of a recent post of mine on another korma thread:

This is a quick paste of Ghanna's recipe (which had no specific quantities or base sauce type) together with the quantities which I used, very successfully:

"It is one of the quickest curries to make in the restaurant kitchen" said Ghanna....
Ingredients :
Curry gravy ? 0.5 pints of MarkJ base sauce
Evaporated milk ? 85g, yes by weight
Creamed coconut ? 50g, again by weight
Any kind of nuts ( some use cashwnut ,some use Almonds, Some use a kind of nut similar to hazelnut ) ? use 0.5 oz almonds plus 0.5 oz raw cashew nuts (both unsalted). Grind to a powder.
Pre-cooked chicken, meat, prawns, or defrosted vegetables.

Method :
Heat some oil from the top of the curry gravy. Leave the heat on high all the time
Add the curry gravy
Add creamed coconut
Add nuts
Add evaporated milk
Add pre-cooked ingredients
Boil until oil rises to the top
Sprinkle some coriander
Serve

Some add fenugreek leaves ,some don't.

Only it gets confusing with such a big thread, and people giving different recipe's!

Is this the highly rated one?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:57 AM »
That's the Korma recipe alright. Use whatever base sauce you like.

Offline mattjwood

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 10:54 PM »
Just to let you know, i am in the process of making the Base and the Korma now, along with some Pilau rice, and have a thread about it, with pics in the Korma thread.

©2024 Curry Recipes