Author Topic: Tweaking  (Read 18340 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Ok, here we go.? I don't want to offend any of the lovely people on this forum but, this whole idea is ridiculous.
Well not only ridiculous but it defies logic and inteligence.? How can you not take a quantity of any ingredients and divide by 5, 10, 20 or 30 or whatever and not expect to get a similar result?

Similar yes, but not exactly the same which is what all the chefs ive spoken to have said in the past.

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Hi Thomashenry,

Well done. You seem to be getting very close and wre using techniques and ingredient variations that a lot of us wouldn't have tried because we are trying too hard to stick to restaurant kitchen methods.

Keep up the good work, can't wait for your findings.

There are 1 or 2 questions that I have for you, but I will let you reach your conclusions first.

Well done again,

Blondie

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Keep up the good work, can't wait for your findings.

Well, I've done it 3 times in 25 days now, and I'm not gettin excited yet, as the last two times I 'did it', I was then unable to do it the next day! This time I really want to consolidate what I'm doing.

It also has to be said that while this was a perfect replica of Bhuna from Bengal Spice, this is not my fav BIR bhuna by a long shot! haha

what are your qs btw?

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 12:55 PM »
I wonder what is considered by indian chefs, the smallest amount of base you can make which tastes correct?
Thomashenry has mentioned something else important too.
He leaves the curry a while before eating it.
Others have said this too.

When you buy a takeaway it sits in the carton for maybe 10 to 15 minutes before you get to eat it.
This would give the new spices a while to blend/cook.
I have been serving a lot of my curries straight from cooking.
That is  definitely wrong to do.
They need to "rest"

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 01:10 PM »
I find I just don't fancy eating curry if ive been making them, usually reheat and eat it a good couple of hours later.  I don't know if it makes that much difference in taste and also if a "rest" period was required for the "taste" to come out then how does this work if your having a sit-in?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2005, 02:54 PM »
Re: The taste we desire can only be achieved by cooking in quantities...Many people may disagree with these comments.  Sorry, I just try to speak the truth as I find it.

I don't disagree. I think you're right. I don't accept different quantities as a valid reason whey cooking at home should not produce the same taste as cooking in a restaurant kitchen. High flames, tandoor oven, skilled chef, correct spice mix - yes. Vast quantities - no.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2005, 05:58 PM »
The main reason I think quantity plays a part, is because you get told so, and we have all found difficulties recreating what we want.
Take this thread from Mark J:-
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=279.0

"He was adamant that it cant be done at home and seemed to indicate it was to do with quantities, he said the amounts of spice are very important."

Why would people say these things to us, when they are trying to help us?
There are loads of other quotes like this one, including some I have posted.
I don't understand

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2005, 06:09 PM »
The main reason I think quantity plays a part, is because you get told so, and we have all found difficulties recreating what we want.
Take this thread from Mark J:-
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=279.0

"He was adamant that it cant be done at home and seemed to indicate it was to do with quantities, he said the amounts of spice are very important."

Why would people say these things to us, when they are trying to help us?
There are loads of other quotes like this one, including some I have posted.
I don't understand

The 'quantity matters' doesn't hold any water with me. When you order a dish in a BIR, they make 1 serving of that dish for you. They make a dish on the same scale as we make them at home. They are not making a motherload, where margins for error are much higher.

The area where it is at least logically possible that quantity plays a role is in making base sauce: and I think Dhiillon base sauce, made accurately is 100% suitable for BIR use anyway.

Offline joe2

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2005, 08:05 PM »
>> Generous helping of very well cooked onions >>

My only concern about this is that all the best currys i've had are a very smooth gravy, with no 'bits' in it at all.

Other peoples' currys may have bits in though.

Offline joe2

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2005, 09:10 PM »
Some people may not like this but:
I strongly urge the members of this forum to forget the whole idea that 'this can't be done at home'. - I know it is a great excuse every time your NOT overjoyed with the curry you've just cooked. But it simply CANNOT be true.  Sure, all the BIR chefs and bosses would love us to think that - and I don't blame them at all, it's their livelyhood.
As long as we accept this (that it can't be done at home) rubbish, we will be hampered continually, because there's always that excuse for failure, when the truth is that we still have a bit of work to do yet.
My curries have improved dramatically since this forum started.  If that correlation continues, then I will be even better at some time in the future.(logic) :)

Oh by the way, can someone give me one(or more) good reason why, I would tell you excactly how to cook something at home - which I continually charge you ?7 for?

©2024 Curry Recipes