Author Topic: Tweaking  (Read 18331 times)

Offline grimmo

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2005, 03:09 PM »
There is a conundrum for me when it comes to chefs being unwilling to give away trade secrets. How do any new curry houses ever open?

I hope this doesn't cause anyone any offence but I've only ever seen one "caucasean" waiter in a BIR (that I can remember) and certainly no owners have been of that ethnicity. BIR's are still on the increase in the UK I believe so it stands to reason that someone is training people somewhere so that the demand for chefs can be met - do they all come through the course mentioned in an earlier thread I wonder? If I were ever in a position to consider opening a BIR I also wonder? how difficult it would be to learn the trade secrets needed to crack the taste, and wonder if it something of a closed shop along ethnic grounds - hence the make up of most BIR staff. Is it true the vast majority of BIR owners/staffs are from a particular region of Bangladesh?

I don't mean any racist implications, I'm just trying to reflect my experience of all the BIR's I've been in - you would think that at least a few "caucasean" entrepeneurs would have entered the market by now, given how popular curry is, and has been for years now. Please excuse any ignorance..

©2024 Curry Recipes