Author Topic: help with freezing/drying chillies please  (Read 6739 times)

Offline fridgedoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: help with freezing/drying chillies please
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 06:36 AM »
Hi All

Just a little tip when freezing chillies, lay them out on a tray, not touching each other and freeze over night (24 hours) once frozen can be put into a freezer bag or plastic container and as already stated run under cold tap for 30 seconds or so then ready for use, mine have never gone mushy.

All the best

Stephen

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 11:15 AM »
Just a little tip when freezing chillies, lay them out on a tray, not touching each other and freeze over night (24 hours) once frozen can be put into a freezer bag

Hi Stephen

I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. I just put the whole bunch of chillis in a freezer bag and freeze. They separate quite easily.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 01:04 PM »
still using my dried chillies from last year to spice up dishes - excellent stuff - just take a couple of the hard dried chillies and crush them between my fingers and sprinkle into dish while finishing off cooking - seeds an' all. 

Problem is I tend to forget what I've just done with my fingers - and go for a pee !!!!!!!  Ain't half hot !

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 08:53 AM »
Just bumping this topic if anyone is interested,
My son bought me a food dehydrator for Christmas, which turned out really useful as I had about half a bucket of red chillis to be picked.

they are quite cheap, and consist of several trays that sit on top of each other and a gentle stream of hot air gets blown up from the bottom for a few hours. You can also do banana chips and other trendy snacks. They are quite cheap, around twenty quid or so.

I now have enough dried chilli to last me for a couple of years, I reckon. I pop some in the spice mix and grind them, or just give them a quick whizz with a stick blender to make chilli flakes.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 12:55 PM »
Just a little tip when freezing chillies, lay them out on a tray, not touching each other and freeze over night (24 hours) once frozen can be put into a freezer bag

Hi Stephen

I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. I just put the whole bunch of chillis in a freezer bag and freeze. They separate quite easily.

Yep - same here.

Never had a problem.

Just bumping this topic if anyone is interested,
My son bought me a food dehydrator for Christmas, which turned out really useful as I had about half a bucket of red chillis to be picked.

they are quite cheap, and consist of several trays that sit on top of each other and a gentle stream of hot air gets blown up from the bottom for a few hours. You can also do banana chips and other trendy snacks. They are quite cheap, around twenty quid or so.

I now have enough dried chilli to last me for a couple of years, I reckon. I pop some in the spice mix and grind them, or just give them a quick whizz with a stick blender to make chilli flakes.

Genius! One of my daughters has recently got into the (surprisingly tasty) world of raw food, and has just bought a dehydrator. Hadn't thought of using it for drying chillis, but I can now quite clearly see a strong mental image of me doing that very thing.

Thanks for the tip!

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 08:10 PM »

Slice chiles in half lengthwise, and dry in airing cupboard on wire rack.

Hi all,

I don't have an airing cupboard but have experimented with drying chillis on silver foil in the car (in full sun) and also in a cheap plastic propagator. Providing there is sun, it takes about a week for them to thoroughly dry out.

©2024 Curry Recipes