Author Topic: Chicken Dhansak BIR Perfect Every Time  (Read 36900 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Dhansak BIR Perfect Every Time
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 06:15 PM »
Well, I've given this it's maiden trial in the Robbo household and it's not bad.  I wouldn't say at this stage that it's as good as my local BIR, but it's a nice dish and easy to make.  I've made it but there's little things I feel I could do to improve my technique when

I guess that a glowing review would be OK, even if you had carried out significant modifications to the recipe. But your feedback starts off as above, making out it's 'not bad' and not as good as your local BIR. The use of a radically different base is mentioned in passing and some people may not realise what a radical departure this is, which is why I made my previous comment.

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 09:21 AM »
I guess that a glowing review would be OK, even if you had carried out significant modifications to the recipe. But your feedback starts off as above, making out it's 'not bad' and not as good as your local BIR. The use of a radically different base is mentioned in passing and some people may not realise what a radical departure this is, which is why I made my previous comment.

Well I clearly stated the changes I made (including the base... hardly a comment 'made in passing') and I've even stated what I find bad about this recipe.  Sticking to the original recipe ISN'T going to change the fact I detest the overpowering pineapple juice and excessive use of lentils (which both make this NOTHING like the Dhansaks I have had at my local BIR) but it wasn't all the bad and I do intend to give it another go replacing the pineapple and reducing the lentils... then will report back my findings.  If you don't like my opinions, then please feel free to ignore my posts on the matter, as I'm sure any other reader will do if they feel the same as you.  ::)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 05:27 PM »
This is getting interesting. Regarding the regional differences, I've never had a southern curry (if the beer's anything to go by I don't think I'm missing much;D), but all the dansaks I've had have been on the yellow side of the curry spectrum, varying from nuclear sunburst yellow to orange/ochre depending on the amount of turmeric/colouring used. I've always assumed this reflected the fact that the dish features lemon/pineapple and split red lentils which cook out to a yellowy colour but obviously some places make it reddish so there you go.
The amount of lentils in the OP looks excessive, try about 3/4oz (100/125g) or about half a cup, should be enough for two generous portions. Red lentils should cook in roughly 3 times their own volume of water in about 25 mins, there shouldn't be any need to drain and blend them they should be cooked to a sort of thin pur?e (if only cooked for 10 mins they are underdone and like all undercooked pulses can give rise to uncontrollable and potentially embarrassing flatulence :o).
Hope this helps

Regards
CoR     

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 01:06 PM »
I've never had a southern curry (if the beer's anything to go by I don't think I'm missing much;D),
***** you went there! I cant even begin to reply to that. That's just such a naughty comment!

Back to the thread...
When i cook chicken breast chunks in a sauce they take about 5 minutes to cook. 30 mins seems crazy! How come they dont overcook?

As for using bottled lemon, Achmal, the door's over there. Show yourself out.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:44 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2009, 01:46 AM »

It's what they use in the BIRs though. Well actually they use lemon dressing but it's almost the same thing.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2009, 09:01 AM »
=========================================================

I find that KTC Lemon Dressing is quick, convenient and more than acceptable and I have seen it used in several BIR kitchens,
Bob

I'm a little surprised at you Nic (chinois),
Read above for what I actually said ,

The use of lemon dressing has been confirmed by parker21 and Secret Santa

Thanks

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2009, 02:24 PM »
Lemon Dressing was on show in The Ashoka kitchen though I don't remember it being used. PP

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 08:38 AM »
Yes i've seen the bottled lemon/dressing being added to madras, pathia and dansak.
I suppose if it's used by places we're trying to replicate i shouldnt be so dismissive, fair point.
I'm a lemon purest, it's my favourite ingredient and it makes me sad when people dont bother to buy the real fruit when it's so easily available :-(
I find it hard not to come to these conclusions when people are wondering why their curries dont taste 100% and i see some people (not everyone) are using such crazy ideas as frozen garlic, bottled ginger, frozen coriander, bottled lemon, frozen base etc. The more of these shortcuts are made, the worse the dish will taste, is the conclusion i cant help but draw.

BIR meat cooking is a good example of bad practice/laziness. The taste of the curry lies in the sauce (which is vegetarian) and cubes of cooked boneless chicken or lamb are added near the end of the whole process. A practical decision but hardly one that optimizes flavour or texture. BIRs ruin lamb so often i dont bother ordering it any more. The chicken's sometimes overcooked too. The meat for tikka main courses is routinely precooked and is noticeably worse than when cooked to order.
It's like a vegetarian offering to cook meat for you: thanks but no thanks. I can do it myself.

BIRs leave precooked chicken at room temperature for hours, overcook lamb, buy low quality ingredients and sometimes overcrowd the pan when cooking multiple portions of one dish. I know we think we should be able to replicate their dishes using the same ingredients & techniques if we're skilled enough at cooking, i just think we shouldnt necessarily think that copying their bad practices with improve our dishes. I guess it's hard to decipher/agree on which ones they are.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 02:57 PM »
i see some people (not everyone) are using such crazy ideas as frozen garlic, bottled ginger, frozen coriander, bottled lemon, frozen base etc. The more of these shortcuts are made, the worse the dish will taste, is the conclusion i cant help but draw

You make some good points Chinois, but not always ones I agree with.

Firstly, many of us are simply aiming to reproduce BIR curries.  We therefore would be well advised to try and replicate the way that they do it, as far as possible.  This may or may not produce the BEST curries, but it is the way that BIRs do it!  And BIRs use lemon juice/dressing and some undoubtedly use bottled ginger, garlic and curry pastes.

Secondly, you assert that fresh ingredients are superior.  Frankly, I can't tell the difference between fresh garlic and frozen garlic, fresh ginger and frozen ginger, fresh tomato paste and frozen tomato paste, etc.  Yes, frozen coriander is inferior to fresh.  Yes, frozen base is not how BIRs do it (so, arguably, neither should we).  However, at the end of the day, it comes down to practicalities (as it does for BIRs).  To my mind, from my experience, using the abovementioned frozen ingredients (properly frozen and stored) does not detract from the final curry one iota. 

Obviously, I have used both fresh and frozen and have not discerned any difference.  If I did, I, for one, would surely not advocate using frozen!  I don't believe these things are particularly relevant in reproducing the BIR taste and smell  :P

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 02:32 PM »
Chinois, thanks for your detail and ideally I would want to cook everything from scratch but have to agree with CA that although it isn't totally BIR authentic frozen bases etc even frozen green chili paste doesn't seriously make a difference for me. I cant imagine making small enough versions of base so as to be able to use it constantly fresh, but if you have perhaps you could share it with us. Apologies if you allready have done, there is such a wealth of material on the site I can easily be sucked in and not get round to other important things so I haven't looked yet. PP

©2024 Curry Recipes