Author Topic: Hot Wok Burner Kit 7.0 kW  (Read 18142 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Wok Burner Kit 7.0 kW
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 04:40 PM »
update

for me the bigger burner is the last piece of the jigjaw.

getting the smell "smoke" into the curry taste is hit and miss though and i don't know the reason why.

i cooked 5 off curry sauces the same "in principle" resulting in: 2 off tasting same as 2.5kw, 1 off having a hint, 1 off burnt disaster and 1 off perfect

i'll post details and thoughts going fwd in CA's more relevant post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1851.0

i did find myself turning the stove down a little so i think anything around 7kw will do the trick. the 2.5kw (and 3.0kw gas hob) is clearly not enough by a long way. i don't know where the cut off point is though.

cooking at this heat is very different and i need to revisit a few things. There is a lot of smoke and the pan does flame it seems whenever it wants to. For these reasons the extra KW is not going to be for everyone. i feel i may have to cook outside.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 12:40 PM »
i'm now well sorted with where to cook with the big output stove - i've moved it into the garage - works a treat.

i take all the standard ingredients out on a tray (oil, g/g paste, puree, onion paste, base, coriander, passata) and then take the measured specific dish ingredients out with a clean serving bowl as i cook each dish.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 07:47 AM »
have attached pic of the jet and stove for info. the jet (1 off hole) is in the LH top corner and part of the control knob assembly.

i must admit long term i'm thinking of buying a new burner assembly (not the stove) like Tynoodle has as i think it will fit directly into my stove. the Tynoodle burner profile i feel will give better heat consistency across the pan (equivalent to a double ring burner).

i'm not totally sure as yet as with my setup i get good flames around the pan and this could yet be a crucial feature.

i need to resolve my hit and mis (more hit than miss these days so encouraging) on the smokey taste by linking technique to the smoke first.

Offline sarannan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 11:14 AM »
Hot Work Burners, mobile chinese wok Hammocks from Hammocks4U, ... Hot Wok ORIGINAL Wok Set 7.0 KW. Hot Wok Set in an authentic look. ... Wok Pan - 30 cm round bottomed, carbon steel 1.5 mm. Wood handle Gas-Kit (regulator and tube). ...

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 09:38 PM »

This must be the quote of the decade.  If it had been true, why have you been reporting on so many issues and "improvements" in the past year? I suspect anyone lumbered with an electric hob would notice a big improvement if they changed to a standard gas hob. I'm not sure it needs a propane hob located in a garage.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 09:03 AM »

This must be the quote of the decade.  If it had been true, why have you been reporting on so many issues and "improvements" in the past year? I suspect anyone lumbered with an electric hob would notice a big improvement if they changed to a standard gas hob. I'm not sure it needs a propane hob located in a garage.

Why did you make that comment George? what was the point? - do you realise how you come across through your posts?

The tone an implied sentiment is quite unnecessary, and helps no one progress their curry cooking goals at all.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 11:08 AM »

Why did you make that comment George? what was the point? - do you realise how you come across through your posts?

The tone an implied sentiment is quite unnecessary, and helps no one progress their curry cooking goals at all.

>Why did you make that comment George?

Because it's true. It was a false alarm - misleading - like listing 'myths' with what sounds like 100% confidence, and many other, similar misguided comments.

>what was the point?

You could ask the same question of many, many posts here. Mine could be taken as a warning to the unwary, not to believe everything you read - not to go out and spend quite a bit of cash on a burner, and convert your garage, when it was probably a false alarm.

>do you realise how you come across through your posts?

Yes.

>The tone an implied sentiment is quite unnecessary

I disagree.

>and helps no one progress their curry cooking goals at all.

I believe it does - upgrade from an electric hob to a standard gas one - a shed conversion is not necessary.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Quote from: Grumpy Old Man
>do you realise how you come across through your posts?

Yes.
'nuff said ... !

Quote from: Grumpy Old Man
I believe it does - upgrade from an electric hob to a standard gas one
And doubtless replace your energy-saving electric light bulbs with gas mantles at the same time  ::)

** Phil.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:52 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Quote from: George
I believe it does - upgrade from an electric hob to a standard gas one
And doubtless replace your energy-saving electric light bulbs with gas mantles at the same time  ::)

** Phil.
[/quote]

Your aim is to lend moral support to Jerry rather than anything to do with gas cookers or how to cook a good curry. Many people prefer gas cookers over electric. It''s a valid point I made. Your comment about replacing energy-saving electric light bulbs with gas mantles may get a chuckle but how is it helpful, if that's the way your mind works?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Your aim is to lend moral support to Jerry rather than anything to do with gas cookers or how to cook a good curry.
No, I am pointing out (see below) that because you prefer gas cookers does not mean that they are necessarily any better (or worse) than electric cookers for the purposes of cooking a good curry.

Many people prefer gas cookers over electric.
And many prefer electric cookers over gas.  Just because you belong to the former group does not mean that gas cookers are better for producing curries.
It's a valid point I made. Your comment about replacing energy-saving electric light bulbs with gas mantles may get a chuckle but how is it helpful, if that's the way your mind works?
A gentle shared chuckle can bring members together, in a way that a sarcastic "This must be the quote of the decade" can never do.

We are all here in the pursuit of BIR excellence, George, but we should not let that get in the way of friendliness and mutual support.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:00 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

©2024 Curry Recipes