Author Topic: Chicken Biryani recipe  (Read 6497 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Biryani recipe
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 07:01 AM »
George,

Budapest is growing on me all the time.

on the Biryani there are few musts for me: omelette, banana fritters, off bone chicken and a good madras curry sauce - heaven.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Budapest is growing on me all the time.

on the Biryani there are few musts for me: omelette, banana fritters, off bone chicken and a good madras curry sauce - heaven.

These places change all the time but I'm sure Budapest is still worth a visit. It's 10 years since I was last there. I flew into Prague (an even better place), then I travelled to Vienna and Budapest by Rail and flew back from Budapest. It's a good route.

Do you mean you like banana fritters and stuff on top of a biyani? Everyone to their own! Of course, there's always the accompanying BIR veg sauce to contend with as well. I still haven't cracked that one, or even spent very long trying. Is that what you call 'Madras sauce'?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Very much agree on Prague (No 1 spot) and the rail sounds a good idea - banked for future, thanks

banana fritter on the side ie with the rice. the BIR veg sauce is very different to a curry sauce or what i call madras sauce (curry sauce madras hot). i don't actually like the veg sauce even though it contains all the veg i like - i feel it's more towards the traditional cooking.

the madras sauce is king for me.

the trouble is now for fshakoor and myself along with others we really need to know which is the best link to follow. i'm ready to give it a go too.

has anyone tried the link recipes or got any thoughts on which is likely to be best in terms of getting closest to BIR.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 12:17 AM »
has anyone tried the link recipes or got any thoughts on which is likely to be best in terms of getting closest to BIR.

I'm sorry but I haven't tried any of them yet. They've been on my 'to do' list for too long.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 05:33 PM »
sentiments entirely - for me we need to get off the base stampede to free up time to get onto the delights

half term is coming up for us and probably a good time to give it a go.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 07:45 PM »
I make a Biryani with a portion of my pilau rice http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2118.msg26811#msg26811, Heat a little veg oil in a wok, add rice, 1/2 Tsp of Garam masala and 1/2 tsp turmeric, along with a portion of chicken tikka chopped(subsitute for plain chicken/lamb/prawns etc) and heat through,for a couple of minutes.then garnish with sliced tomato and cucumber. I serve it with a veg curry made from cabbage,peas,carrot,onion made to a medium curry recipe.
Sometime i throw in some onions a and sultanas too.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Heres a lamb tikka biryani made to the recipe above

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 04:39 PM »
Robin,

it sounds a bit too quick of a way to make without loosing some of the flavour. how does this quick method compare against the real McCoy.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 06:55 PM »
I can see what you mean,it is pretty simple,compared to a BIR biryani though i think it tastes spot on,its the frying of the rice that gives it a real bir taste with the spices. the only other biryani recipes i've got from cookbooks are the banquet type affairs that are a lot more like home cooking with lots of ingredients such as rosewater etc.

I think I chucked some flaked almonds in too which i forgot too mention,I made this one up just from deconstucting one i'd had out, i might try cooking the rice with chicken stock instd of water next time though.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 07:17 AM »
Robin,

thanks, will have to add it to my list (so as to compare the quick and the long).

i would go more for making pilau rice than use stock. i use stock in my normal cooking and works well in the right place - i'm not sure on this one but i'm no expert yet.

i know the taste i'm after and it may well be more than a pilau. i need to experiment a little. i can't remember what the Budapest video used - this would be my guide.

©2024 Curry Recipes