Author Topic: pre fried onions usage in a BIR  (Read 2109 times)

Offline jasper

• Chef
    • View Profile
pre fried onions usage in a BIR
« on: September 15, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Hi Folks,

Maybe the secret we are all eagerly searching for is not only the base...

My local take away in Munich (which is listed as one of the best Indian restaurants in Germany) is using 3 sorts of bases!

First of all they use one ladle of the standard gravy we are all talking about here, and its honestly not tasting that well (not any better as what I am reproducing at home).

Then they allways put a ladle of the second base in a curry. These are deep fried onions, tomatos and red and green peppers with spices. I think here is where the excellent taste is comming in! because those deep fried onions with spices are tasting perfectly.

Last but not least they put in the pre cooked lamb or chicken. They always boil the lamb and then deep fry onions, put in the lamb and the spices. So again deep fried onions.... I think they are proberly the most important for the typical BIR taste.

When the are in a hurry the simply use PRE FRIED ONIONS, the ones you can simply buy in every supermarket. And again the curry tastes perfect  ::)

The dont have any secret spices!!! I know because I spend a lot of time in there kitchen. They only use paprika, chili, coriander, cumin, methi and garam massala.

Did any of you guys tried pre fried onions??

cheers,

Jasper

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: pre fried onions usage in a BIR
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:48 PM »
intriguing on the 3 base front.

on the pre fried onions - i bought a biggish bag (400gm made by pride) a while ago and struggled to use it.

i've added it at cooking stage after the base and it does add a bit of a moorish taste but i also found the sort of "fried" taste in the curry a bit over powering - maybe i'd not got the proportion right.

I'm working on bhuna at the mo and intend trying them at some point.

link to previous post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2521.0

©2024 Curry Recipes