Author Topic: Newbie SnS Base & Madras, and AST Jalfrezi  (Read 6119 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie SnS Base & Madras, and AST Jalfrezi
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 07:30 AM »
Button,

real pleasing post - really like the party photo. you've been very brave and it's paid off - well done! - a real boost for the site.

reclaiming the oil - keep more water in the base for longer?
the consistency of the base - reduce the base once most of the oil is out?
 ,,     ,,     of the curry - would it be better to reduce the final curry instead?
the sides - think next time i'm going to make my own naans, poppadoms and pilau!

i've just changed reclaim methods - the new is very simple and quick - i pour it off before blending - then cook for a further hour. using the original method it can be difficult getting the oil to separate - more water and a little bit of stirring the bottom of the pan whilst avoiding stirring the top helps. u should be able to get back between 50 & 80%. it does depend on how much veg is in the base as well (the rajver is for example a difficult reclaim whilst the saffron is much easier). i'd honestly try the pour off method it works a treat.

the consistency of the base needs to be quite runny - almost sits up as a soft peak. i currently look to evaporate/reduce it from 400 to 200ml per portion although i'm having 2nd thoughts and may yet return to 300ml to 200ml.

the evaporation is crucial at the cooking stage - i feel it's best done by eye - the look of the surface of the cooking curry changes when it's ready - generally i find oil has already started to surface a little - although taking a spoonful out to taste is helpful to start with.

definitely go for the naans and onion bhajis - they are easy to make up front and then microwave to reheat.

Offline button

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 07:56 AM »
when you say you pour it off what do you mean? Not only am I new to cooking curries but pretty much new to cooking in general! I can do a healthy variety of dishes but I'd call myself a cook not a chef  :-[

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 09:43 AM »
This is what the site is all about, thank you for the post, a great read and great photos.

Stew

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 01:57 PM »
Hi Button,

To reclaim the oil all you have to do is to spoon it off once you have done the first stage.  I have always done it this way for years.  CQ

Offline button

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 06:06 PM »
yeah thats what i'm doing - but i can never seem to get more than 1/5 out of what i put in!

my poor guests: "it's not as greasy as a takeaway"  ::)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 06:35 PM »
button,

after cooking the base to the point before blending the oil sits on top of the veg (ie after 1 or 2 hrs). i used to then blend, add water and cook for a 1 further hour to get the oil to rise (it has taken 2 or even 3 hrs). this process is quite tricky. if the base is too thick (ie not enough water in it) then the oil will not rise. if u stir too much then it goes back into the base. u can stir a little and this helps but only stir at the bottom of the pan keeping the spoon in the same position at the liquid level.

this is the link to the method i used to use http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2684.msg23835#msg23835

the thing is u can forget the above method - simply tip the pan and pour the oil off just before the blending stage (this will be what curryqueen is referring to 1st stage). the only caution for this simpler method is u need some oil to stay in the base and therefore u need to be sure how much u added and how much the recipe states to know how much u can reclaim. the amount of oil for the wt of onion varies quite a lot across the recipes - i need to work on it some more but i think about 10% is the sort of region to be in ie 75ml oil for 800g onion.

Nb u still need to cook the base after the blending - i aim for at least 1 hr.

©2024 Curry Recipes